Real Madrid have not thought about signing Harry Kane, club president Florentino Perez said on Tuesday, putting a dampener on widespread speculation that the in-form Spurs striker may be bound for the Santiago Bernabeu.Perez said that, if he did make an inquiry, Tottenham would value Kane at 250 million euros ($295 million), which would be a world-record transfer fee.”(But) I haven’t thought about signing Kane. We are happy with (Karim) Benzema and the rest of the team,” Perez told radio station Cadena COPE on Tuesday.Parts of Real’s forward line have been misfiring this season, while 24-year-old Kane’s red-hot start to the 2017/18 campaign has seen him score 17 times in 16 games for club and country.Reuters Photo That has put him in the frame to be the next Spurs star to join the Champions League holders, with Croatia’s Luka Modric and Welshman Gareth Bale having made the switch from North London to Madrid in recent seasons.Speculation was fuelled further last week when Real’s former president Ramon Calderon said he expected the club to try to sign Kane to extend their current cycle at the summit of European football.Kane failed to find the net in Tottenham’s 1-1 Champions League draw with Real in Madrid on Oct. 17. The England striker will have another chance when the teams meet again at Wembley on Nov. 1.
Johnathan Gray lights up Oklahoma State. (USATSI)I saw some pretty ridiculous things on Twitter tonight — you always do when things are going south during a season — and I usually just laugh and change the channel (so to speak).But this tweet climbed to the apex of irrationality and I couldn’t let it go. Here it is.Gundy and Yurcich owe me a personal apology. And a refund. #okstate— Katie (@iamnotkathy) November 16, 2014That is as absurd as being a consumer of goods and services can possibly be.Example: If you go to a movie with your spouse and it sucks, do you demand an apology and refund from the director of that movie?Of course not!The rational response is one of these two:1. “Hey, I had a lot of fun on my date but that movie didn’t live up to the expectationsI have for that director because of other work he’s done and I think he’s kind of toast as a director so I’m not going to any of his movies again.”Or..2. “Hey, I had a lot of fun on my date but that movie didn’t live up to the expectations I have for that director because of other work he’s done…however I trust his full body of work so I think I’ll probably see one of his movies again in the future.”Those are the only two responses that don’t make you sound entitled and immature.Demanding an apology from two of the executives of a company because you don’t like their product? This isn’t a middle school economics project!Simply don’t go.Problem solved.If you’re looking for the comments section, it has moved to our forum, The Chamber. You can go there to comment and holler about these articles, specifically in these threads. You can register for a free account right here and will need one to comment.If you’re wondering why we decided to do this, we wrote about that here. Thank you and cheers!
Kolkata: Three buildings were severely damaged and around a dozen-odd suffered cracks in Bowbazar area, allegedly due to the ongoing work of tunnel boring undertaken by the authorities of East-West Metro.Mayor Firhad Hakim, who is also the state Urban Development minister, visited the spot and working in tandem with the Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation (KMRC) officials, ensured that the affected residents got relocated in hotels situated in and around the area. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaA portion of a building located at Durga Pithuri Lane collapsed in the wee hours of Sunday, while some others located at the same lane, Madan Dutta Lane and Sankhari Para Lane developed cracks. “Safety of the people residing in these buildings is our top priority. We will not allow anybody to stay in the buildings that have suffered damages. I have spoken with KMRC and they have already made arrangements for the fooding and lodging of the affected residents in nearby hotels,” Hakim said, after holding a meeting with officials of KMRC, Kolkata Police and Fire department in the afternoon. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayThe affected residents claimed that no prior notice about tunnel boring work and evacuation had been issued to them. They said that KMRC, which is executing the project, started boring work under Durga Pithuri Lane at around 7.00 pm. Within a few minutes, most of the buildings in the locality started shaking and it seemed like an earthquake. “A loud sound was heard and cracks started developing in the building walls. After a few minutes, the lights went off,” a resident alleged. “On Saturday, I reached my home (10 A, Durga Pithuri Lane) at 10 pm and saw that most of the buildings had been evacuated by the KMRC officials and police. We were keeping our fingers crossed hearing the sound of cracks and ultimately were shifted to a hotel at 5 am,” said Dr Pradip Laha, a local resident. Most of the buildings that have suffered damages are more than 150-years-old and engineers expressed their apprehension that with the extent of damage, a few of them may be beyond repair. “Initially we will charge cement in the cracks and try to mend them as much as possible. Then we will consult structural experts who will examine the building and will certify what needs to be done and accordingly, the repair work will be taken up,” Hakim said. MP Sudip Bondhopadhyay, who went to the spot earlier in the day, said: “People always wanted Metro here. They are not against Metro. They did not expect this will happen. It’s a human error.” Manas Sarkar, managing director of KMRC, who visited the spot, said that considering the safety of the residents, arrangements for lodging of 254 people have already been made. He assured that the KMRC will do necessary repair work and build the buildings afresh, if needed. It may be mentioned that KMRC is executing the 16.6 km long EW Metro corridor, which will connect Salt Lake Sector V with Howrah Maidan. The tunneling work from Sealdah to Esplanade area is going on at present.
CALGARY – A Calgary woman who is now paralyzed after police say she was pushed in front of an oncoming transit train is awake from life-saving surgery and feels thankful to be alive, her son says.Allan Hein says his mother, Rozalia (Rose) Meichl, doesn’t remember much of the incident Thursday afternoon on a platform near Stampede Park where she was allegedly shoved from behind onto the tracks, but knows she can’t feel her legs.Hein says she spoke to him on the phone Sunday and remains optimistic despite the horror she went through.“She said, ‘Well son, I know that I can’t move my legs, I just can’t feel them. But I’m still alive so I’m feeling great,’” Hein said in an interview.“‘I’m aware I’ll never walk again and I’m aware that I’ll be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life, but son, I’m still breathing and I’m still alive and I’ve got family that love me.’”The train was able to stop in time, but Meichl was seriously injured and taken to hospital in life-threatening condition.A suspect was taken into custody by a transit officer. Police believe the attack was random and unprovoked.Hein says his mother and a friend were planning to return home on the train that day after taking in some horse racing. She was being followed and harassed by someone who was clearly intoxicated or on drugs, he says, and his mother finally told them to leave her and her friend alone.They thought that was the end of it, and as a train approached, a recorded announcement warned people to stand behind the yellow line at the edge of the platform. His mother’s friend looked up the tracks to see if it was their train, and Hein says the friend looked back in time to see Meichl get “two-arm pushed” off the platform and onto the tracks.Hein was at the gym when his sister called, bawling, and told him their mother was at Foothills Hospital. Doctors told them that evening that she likely wouldn’t live.Meichl hasn’t had an easy life. She’s had mobility issues due to a spinal condition that developed in her 20s and prevented her from working, and she raised two kids as a single mother.Despite her difficulties, Hein says his mother found time to volunteer and fundraise for charities.“Mum always did the best with what she had,” Hein said.A GoFundMe page, set up by Hein’s ex-wife, is helping raise funds to assist Meichl with her rehabilitation and living arrangements after she leaves hospital, which Hein says doctors believe is at least four months away.Hein says the generosity has helped restore his faith in Calgarians.“I know that life isn’t fair, but my mum is a great human being and has done nothing but provide care and compassion for those that are in her life.”Stephanie Favel, who is 35, is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and breach of probation.—By Rob Drinkwater in EdmontonFind the GoFundMe like at https://www.gofundme.com/support-rose039s-road-to-recovery
Now playing: Watch this: So what does it actually taste like? The crunch from the breading and the smell from the fry was exactly what I expected from a good chicken nugget. But I was pleasantly surprised at how similar the cultured chicken itself tasted compared to the real deal, even if it didn’t look like your typical KFC or McDonald’s nugget. You can watch the video to find out more.Just’s next cultured meat product will be wagyu beef. Several other companies are also developing clean meat derived from animal cells, like Memphis Meats (chicken and duck) and SuperMeat (also chicken).If you’re hankering to try your own cultured chicken nugget, you’ll have to hold tight a little longer. The nugget needs to get USDA and FDA approval in the US, but Just says it’ll first be available in selected high-end restaurants in Asia later this year once it gets regulatory approval. The video on this page is an episode of Beta Test, the show that puts you in the front seat with me as I test out crazy tech products and experiences. Check back each month for a new show! You can also find the series on YouTube. Chicken nuggets usually get a pretty bad rap. Whether they’re filled with mystery meat or come with a mouthful of additives, they also involve slaughtering an animal. But the nugget I’m about to eat from San Francisco-based Just was grown in a lab, using cells taken from a living chicken. It’s cultured meat (and cruelty-free).Carnivores, breathe a sigh of relief. Tags Unlike entirely plant-based products such as the Impossible Burger, the Just chicken nugget is actual meat.Cultured meat, also called lab-grown or clean meat, starts with the collection of cells, usually done through a biopsy so the animals aren’t harmed. Just says it has also been able to get cells from a chicken feather. The most viable cells are chosen and then given the right nutrients they need to grow in a bioreactor. In the case of this chicken nugget, those nutrients are plant-based.Not only does cultured meat avoid sacrificing animals, it could take fewer resources to produce than traditional livestock. Around 14.5 percent of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions are from livestock, according to a report from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. But one study questions how environmentally friendly clean meat products could be if the process is energy-intensive.The chicken nugget once plated with Just’s plant-based mayo as a dipping sauce. CNET Just’s cultured chicken product takes around two weeks to grow in a bioreactor. The team of chefs plays a major part in creating the product once the scientists have developed the biology. “They are really the ones that can assemble everything and come up with the ideal ratios of cell types,” says Vitor Santo, director of cellular agriculture. Beta Test Share your voice 7:58 Comments Sci-Tech Healthy eating 6 Trying a lab-grown chicken nugget
Former president of Bangladesh and Jatiya Party chairman Hussain Mohammad Ershad. Prothom Alo File PhotoThe body of former president of Bangladesh and Jatiya Party chairman Hussain Mohammad Ershad will be taken to Rangpur on Tuesday, say party officials.The 89-year-old leader of the opposition in the Jatiya Sangsad (national parliament) died at the Combined Military Hospital in Dhaka this (Sunday) morning.JP presidium member Khaled Akhter confirmed this to Prothom Alo.The Inter Services Public Relations Directorate (ISPR) assistant director Rashedul Alam Khan also said that the former president died around 7:45am.Ershad’s wife Raushan Ershad and son Saad Ershad went to CMH around 8:00 in the morning, JP said.The body has been kept at CMH morgue.JP chairman’s deputy press secretary Khandaker Delwar Jalali told Prothom Alo in the morning that the first namaaz-e-janaza of Ershad will be held central army mosque after the Zuhr prayers.His second janaza will be held at the South Plaza of the Jatiya Sangsad at 10:00am tomorrow, Monday, while the third janaza will be held at Baitul Mukarram, the national mosque of Bangladesh, at 11:00am on the same day.Ershad’s body will be taken to Rangpur on Tuesday by a helicopter and a janaza will be held there. His body will then be brought back to Dhaka.He will be buried at the army graveyard in Dhaka as was his wish, said Jatiya Party presidium member Ziauddin Bablu.JP acting chairman GM Quader on Saturday said his brother HM Ershad had been on life support at the CMH.Physicians had long been trying to make his kidney and liver functions normal, but there was no improvement in this regard, he added.Ershad, also the leader of the opposition in parliament, was admitted to the CMH on 27 June as his condition deteriorated.Ershad was born in Cooch Behar of the then British India on 1 February 1930. His father Mokbul Hossain served as a minister of the-then Maharaja of Cooch Behar. Later, his family shifted to Rangur.
Word of Faith will be celebrating their grand opening April 21-24. The church is located at the Atrium, 4 W University Pkwy, Baltimore, MD 21218 in back of the Doubletree Hotel. Contact the church office at 410-662-5587 for more information.
Kolkata: The Kolkata Port Trust has taken a significant stride in simplifying the transhipment process from Kolkata to Nepal by substantially reducing the documentation process. KoPT chairman Vinit Kumar on Friday evening flagged off the first train of containers from Netaji Subhas Dock under the new system.The facility, which was first adopted at Visakhapatnam Port has been extended to Kolkata Port on request from the Nepal government. Under this system, the Indian Customs have waived the requirement for a Nepal’s importer of filing a Customs Transit Declaration (CTD) at Kolkata Customs. The entire documentation for transit of container is provided by the shipping line and Nepal’s traders are not required to exchange an interface with the Indian Customs. The import for Nepal’s traders is expected to be seamless. Earlier, a Nepal importer had to send seven original documents to get the cargo cleared from the Kolkata Port. This has been reduced to one document that is electronically transmitted. The Indian Customs seals the containers using the Electronic Cargo Tracking System (ECTS) and containers are evacuated from the port to Nepal by rail. The GPS enabled ECTS-seals are used to track the containers throughout its journey till Nepal. “The new process greatly reduces time and the end-to-end cost for Nepali traders (roughly per container savings of $200). The volumes of Nepal imports through Kolkata are expected to see an increase after the adoption of this process,” a senior KoPT official said.
Read MorePolice confirm Stoke-on-Trent pensioner found ‘safe and well’ Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you. Follow us on Twitter @SOTLive – the official Sentinel account – real news in real time. We’re also on Facebook – your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire & South Cheshire. You’ll also find us on Instagram here . Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailRail users travelling on Northern, Arriva Trains Wales and Virgin services face delays of up to 30 minutes this morning because of ‘signalling problems’. National Rail says a fault with the signalling means that all lines travelling between Stockport and Crewe are blocked, meaning train services may be delayed or cancelled. The issue is said to be in the Chelford area. A National Rail spokesman said: “A fault with the signalling system at Chelford has resulted in disruption for trains travelling between Stockport and Crewe; all lines are currently blocked. Train services running between these station may be cancelled, delayed by up to 40 minutes or diverted. “Disruption is expected until 11am.” Alternative travel advice from Crewe to StockportWith a number of trains cancelled between Crewe and Stockport, National Rail has released a list of alternative options for people travelling on the affected services. Northern trains between Manchester Piccadilly and Crewe are currently terminating at / starting back from Alderley Edge Alternative travel advice for Northern customers: Replacement road transport services are conveying passengers between Alderley Edge and Crewe in both directions until further notice. Alternative travel advice for Virgin Trains customers: East Midlands Trains are conveying customers between Crewe and Stoke-On-Trent.Northern are conveying passengers between Stockport and Wilmslow.