Somdev Devvarman jumped 30 places to reach career best singles ranking of 80 in the ATP charts following his stupendous show at the SA Tennis Open, where he ended runner-up on Sunday.Somdev DevvarmanSomdev lost the summit clash to local favourite Kevin Anderson but earned 150 ranking points, that helped him climb the ranking ladder up.Somdev had broken into top-100 in August last year but kept floating inside and outside that bracket in the next few months.Comeback boy Karan Rastogi is the next best Indian at number 328.Meanwhile the re-united partners Mahesh Bhupathi (5) and Leander Paes (6) kept their rankings intact in the doubles chart.In the WTA ranking, Sania Mirza’s ranking was unchanged in both singles (135) and doubles (66).Poojashree Venkatesha was second best ranked Indian at number 514, a gain of 20 position, in the singles chart.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
Kolkata, May 30 (PTI) Continuing its tirade against the ISL organisers, the Indian Football Association has shot off a letter to AIFF seeking another round of meeting with Mohun Bagan and East Bengal before the stakeholders meet with the AFC at Kuala Lumpur on June 7. “Ive sent the letter and waiting for a response,” IFA secretary Utpal Ganguli said as they have sought to know the roadmap of Indian football as promised to them by the AIFF in an earlier meeting. This was an outcome of a joint decision by Mohun Bagan and East Bengal officials who joined hands in their tirade against the Football Sports Development Limited and threatened to disrupt the ISL if their demands of franchise fee waiver and money from central pool were not met. It is understood that both East Bengal and Mohun Bagan will boycott the AFC meeting if the AIFF president turns down the proposal for another meeting. PTI TAP ATK ATK
Diego Costa has accused Chelsea of treating him like a “criminal” in a forthright newspaper interview which will deepen the breach with the Premier League club.The striker is seeking a move back to Spain in the transfer window and has not played for Chelsea since the FA Cup final in May, following which he claims manager Antonio Conte sent him a text, telling him he was not in his plans for the new season.Costa was interviewed at home in Brazil on the same day Chelsea lost their opening Premier League game to Burnley, and said he was refusing the club’s demand to return to play with the reserves.”They want me to be there training with the reserves. I wouldn’t be allowed access to the first-team dressing room and I would have no contact at all with the guys,” he told the Daily Mail.”I’m not a criminal! I don’t think it is fair after all I have done to be treated like that.”Reuters PhotoThe Brazilian-born Spain international, who joined Chelsea from Atletico Madrid in 2014, said if the club did not allow him to move before the transfer window he was prepared to see out his contract unpaid in Brazil.”I am open to being a year in Brazil without playing, even if Chelsea fine me for a year and don’t pay me. I’ll come back stronger. If I was in the wrong, I’d go back now and do as they say.”I want the deal with Atletico resolved this month. My idea would be to go to Madrid, train there, get in the best physical shape and be ready to fire ahead of the World Cup.”advertisementThe situation is complicated by the fact that Atletico are currently banned from signing players in this window although a loan deal would be possible.Costa’s relationship with Conte appears to have broken down although the Brazilian accepts the Italian “is a good coach”.Last week Conte said there was “no news” on the Costa situation but earlier this summer said the “situation is closed.”
RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazilian star Neymar lost his national team’s captaincy for the Copa America to veteran Dani Alves, in another move suggesting the striker will be under heavy pressure to deliver the title of the South American tournament on home soil.Brazil’s football confederation, CBF, said in a statement on Monday that 36-year-old defender Alves, a close friend of Neymar’s who plays with him at Paris Saint-Germain, will start wearing the armband in the friendly against Qatar on June 5 in Brasilia.The Copa America will be played between June 14 and July 7, and Brazil’s first match will be against Bolivia in Sao Paulo on opening day.CBF also said Brazil coach Tite informed Neymar of his decision on Saturday, the day the Paris Saint-Germain striker arrived at the national team’s training ground outside Rio de Janeiro. The soccer body also said Alves will only join the group on Tuesday, but was informed on Sunday of his new status.Daniel Alves será o capitão da #SeleçãoBrasileira na Copa América. Boa sorte, craque! ⚽?? #JogaBolaSaiba mais em https://t.co/8JGEihDKZXFoto: @lucasFigfoto / CBF pic.twitter.com/WVGf96pYDa— CBF Futebol (@CBF_Futebol) May 27, 2019Tite, Neymar and Dani Alves have not talked about the decision yet.The 27-year-old Neymar was his national team’s captain since the elimination in the World Cup quarterfinals against Belgium in 2018. Brazil’s coach said then he wanted to give more responsibilities to the striker, who is under criticism from Brazil fans since his unconvincing performances in Russia.Tite’s decision comes after Neymar’s altercation with a fan at the French Cup final on April 27. The striker apologized for the altercation after PSG lost on penalties to Rennes, but that was not enough to keep the armband. Brazil’s coach has been under pressure since to take away the captaincy from Neymar.New captain Alves won Copa America in 2007, and scored a goal in the 3-0 victory against Argentina in the final. He has the highest number of caps on Brazil with 138.The right-back was expected to be Brazil’s captain during the World Cup in Russia, but he suffered a left knee injury that didn’t allow him to play.Brazil’s preparations for Copa America were halted on Monday, with players resuming training Tuesday afternoon.Brazil is in Group A with Bolivia, Venezuela and Peru.TweetPinShare0 Shares
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Sheffield Utd to bid for Brentford striker Ollie Watkinsby Paul Vegas19 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveSheffield United are eyeing Brentford striker Ollie Watkins.Chris Wilder and his team are looking for another striker, even though they bought Oli McBurnie and Callum Robinson in the summer.Brentford forward Watkins has been tracked since the start of a campaign in which he has become one of the Championship’s top scorers, says The Sun.United have fancied Watkins for years as he can play anywhere across the front line.And his run of scoring in a new central role confirmed their belief in him.Crystal Palace wanted Watkins in the last window but he was priced too high for their liking.
Pay TV operator Sky Deutschland is to add music channel Jukebox to its programming line-up at the start of October.The channel, which airs a mix of contemporary and classic hit music, will be included in the Sky World package for satellite and IPTV customers and will also be receivable over cable.Jukebox is owned by niche channel provider High-View, which also provides channels including Planet, RCK TV and RLX TV.
Reviewed by James Ives, M.Psych. (Editor)Apr 8 2019Dr. Sunita Sah practiced general medicine for several years in the United Kingdom’s National Health Service. When she came to the United States, she noticed something strange.The U.K. guidelines for tests such as mammograms and colon cancer screenings drastically differed from those in the U.S. – even though they were based on the same medical evidence.”Having colonoscopy at the age of 50 – that struck me as rather odd when I moved to the U.S., because you don’t really hear about people having colonoscopies as a screening procedure in the U.K.,” said Sah. “It’s much less invasive to test for blood in the stool. It’s also less costly and doesn’t have the risks of undertaking a colonoscopy.”Now an assistant professor of management and organizations at Cornell, Sah and Ismail Jatoi of the University of Texas Health, San Antonio, say the treatment guidelines recommended by medical specialist organizations are more likely to call for greater use of health care services and exacerbate overdiagnosis, overtreatment and spiraling health care costs. Their commentary, “Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Overuse of Health Care Services: Need for Reform,” appeared March 18 in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.The implications are significant, she said, because guidelines are supposed to provide standard evidence-based treatment practices for all doctors.”The recommendations put out by specialty organizations – like the American College of Cardiology or the American College of Radiology – show specialty bias in recommending more aggressive and/or more frequent screening procedures,” said Sah, an expert on conflict of interest. “In the U.S. in particular, where the fee-for-service compensation model dominates medicine, which is different from countries like the U.K., you see even more recommendations for greater use of health care services.”Specialty bias refers to the tendency of physicians to recommend the treatments in which they are trained to deliver. For example, localized prostate cancer can be treated with either surgery or radiation.”If you go to a surgeon, chances are that they are more likely to recommend that you have surgery; if you go to a radiation oncologist, they are more likely to recommend that you have radiation,” she said. “They each often believe that the treatment that they’re trained in is the better one.”Related StoriesCancer killing capability of lesser-known immune cells identifiedStudy reveals link between inflammatory diet and colorectal cancer riskHow cell-free DNA can be targeted to prevent spread of tumorsIn the case of screening for colorectal cancer, the American College of Gastroenterology’s panel – all of whom were gastroenterologists – recommended colonoscopy as the best strategy.But the United States Preventive Task Force, with no gastroenterologists or gastrointestinal surgeons, recommended testing the stool, sigmoidoscopy (an exam of only the lower part of the colon) or colonoscopy as a last resort. Stool testing was also recommended by the European Society of Medical Oncology panel, which consisted of six medical oncologists, no gastroenterologists and one gastrointestinal surgeon. The panel said there was limited evidence that screening colonoscopy is effective.”Colonoscopies are more invasive than stool testing and come with potentially greater risks and costs for patients – but increased clinical volume and profits for gastroenterologists,” Sah said.Specialty guidelines are also subject to fee-for-service bias, according to the commentary. Doctors who receive a payment for each treatment may tend to recommend that treatment more often, because they have a financial interest in it.”The bias is not necessarily malicious or intentional,” Sah said. “In a fee-for-service environment, they may be biased to do more rather than less, so it becomes a habit.”But more is not necessarily better, she said. “Sometimes the risks of those procedures are just not worth the benefits.”The authors call for a reduction in conflicts of interest in the fee-for-service model, and more professional diversity in the makeup of the guideline committees. “You need a variety of different voices on those committees,” Sah said.And patients could ask their doctors which guidelines they follow and why. “Ask them questions,” she said. “Ask your doctor to explain their thought process in recommending the particular guideline and the advantages or disadvantages of one guideline versus another.”Cornell University has dedicated television and audio studios available for media interviews supporting full HD, ISDN and web-based platforms. Source:http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2019/03/sah-medical-guidelines-may-be-biased-overly-aggressive
Explore further The San Francisco-based social network said it was tightening access to its application programming interfaces (APIs) that allows developers to make automated Twitter posts.”We’re committed to providing access to our platform to developers whose products and services make Twitter a better place,” said Twitter senior product management director Rob Johnson.”However, recognizing the challenges facing Twitter and the public—from spam and malicious automation to surveillance and invasions of privacy—we’re taking additional steps to ensure that our developer platform works in service of the overall health of conversation on Twitter.”Johnson offered no details on the revoked apps, but Twitter has been under pressure over automated accounts or “bots” which spread misinformation or falsely amplify a person or political cause.”We do not tolerate the use of our APIs to produce spam, manipulate conversations, or invade the privacy of people using Twitter,” he said.”We’re continuing to invest in building out improved tools and processes to help us stop malicious apps faster and more efficiently.”As of Tuesday, any developer seeking access to create a Twitter app will have to go through a new application process, providing details of how they will use the service.”We’re committed to supporting all developers who want to build high-quality, policy-compliant experiences using our developer platform and APIs, while reducing the impact of bad actors on our service,” Johnson said.Automated accounts are not always malicious—some are designed to tweet our emergency alerts, art exhibits or the release of a Netflix program—but “bots” have been blamed for spreading hoaxes and misinformation in a bid to manipulate public opinion. Citation: Twitter curbs access for 143,000 apps in new crackdown (2018, July 24) retrieved 18 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-07-twitter-curbs-access-apps-crackdown.html Twitter sets crackdown on automated ‘bot’ accounts Twitter said Tuesday it had removed more than 143,000 apps from the messaging service since April in a fresh crackdown on “malicious” activity from automated accounts. Twitter said it removed more than 143,000 apps in a crackdown on malicious activity from automated accounts or “bots” © 2018 AFP This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
IBM buys software company Red Hat for $34bn in bid for cloud dominance Shares of Red Hat skyrocketed at the opening bell Monday after IBM, in the biggest acquisition of its 100-year history, acquired the software company. The $34 billion stock deal translates to $190 per Red Hat share—a 63 percent premium to the closing price Friday for the Raleigh, North Carolina company. Red Hat Inc.’s stock soared almost 50 percent in early trading.The path for revitalization for New York’s IBM may be found in cloud technology, a driving force behind the blockbuster deal for Red Hat over the weekend.”This is about resetting the cloud landscape,” Chairman and CEO Virginia Rometty said Monday in a conference call.The hybrid cloud—when companies use a mix of on-site, private and third-party public cloud services—is an emerging $1 trillion opportunity that the companies want to be prepared for, Rometty said.The deal requires the approval of Red Hat shareholders as well as U.S. regulators. It is targeted to close in the latter half of 2019, but there is a good chance that others may wish to make a counterbid.That prospect sent shares up 47 percent in early trading, close to an all-time high.”We have long-stated that Red Hat is a strategic asset and while we are not aware of any merger and acquisition discussions or negotiations, we would not be surprised if a hyperscale cloud vendor such as Google, Amazon, Microsoft, or Oracle make a competing bid given Red Hat’s strategic position within on-premise datacenters (over 100K customers),” wrote Stifel’s Brad Reback.IBM’s stock slipped more than 1 percent Monday. Explore further This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. © 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. Citation: Red Hat soar on IBM deal (2018, October 29) retrieved 17 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-10-red-hat-soar-ibm.html In this April 26, 2017, file photo, pedestrians walk past the IBM logo displayed on the IBM building in New York. Shares of Red Hat skyrocketed at the opening bell Monday, Oct. 29, 2018, after IBM, in the biggest acquisition in its 100-year history, acquired the software company. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File)
BENGALURU: Karnataka assembly speaker Ramesh Kumar against whom 15 ruling coalition rebel MLAs have moved the Supreme Court alleging delay in accepting their resignations, Tuesday said he is working in accordance with the Constitution and was performing his duty. The apex court will pronounce its order Wednesday morning on the pleas of 15 rebel Congress-JD(S) MLAs seeking direction for Kumar to accept their resignations from the Assembly. “Ultimately, what the Supreme Court will come out (its verdict), after going through that, I will respond,” Kumar told reporters in Kolar district. Stating that he was working in accordance with the Constitution, he said “I don’t have the freedom to comment on all other matters being the speaker.” “I am not someone who is going to challenge…I will only perform my duty.. everyone will have to wait till tomorrow,” he added. A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi concluded the hearings of the rebel MLAs, the speaker and Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy Tuesday. The order from the Supreme Court will come a day before the tottering Congress-JD(S) government faces the floor test in the assembly, which would end suspense over the numbers game triggered by a raft of resignations by the ruling coalition lawmakers. As many as 16 MLAs — 13 from the Congress and three from the JD(S) — have resigned while two independent MLAs S Shankar and H Nagesh have withdrawn their support to the coalition government, keeping it on the edge. In a bid to keep their flock together ahead of the floor test, the Congress, BJP and JD(S) have shifted their MLAs to resorts. The Congress Tuesday shifted its MLAs from a hotel in the city to a resort on the outskirts, amid fears that some more legislators may resign. Reacting to state BJP chief Yeddyurappa’s reported statement claiming that another 2-3 MLAs were likely to resign ahead of the confidence motion, KPCC chief Dinesh Gundu Rao alleged that resignation of Congress-JD(S) MLAs were with “malafide intent.” “This statement clearly proves that the resignations by @INCIndia/JDS MLA’s were done with malafide intent. @BSYBJP has purposely said this to ensure that the Speaker has enough material to disqualify the rebel MLAs. The rebel MLA’s have fallen into a trap,” he said in a tweet. The ruling coalition’s strength in the House is 117– Congress 78, JD(S) 37, BSP 1, and nominated 1, besides the speaker. With the support of the two independents, the opposition BJP has 107 MLAs in the 225-member House, including the nominated MLA and Speaker. If the resignations of the 16 MLAs are accepted, the ruling coalition’s tally will be reduced to 101. According to official sources, the nominated member too has a right to vote. Download The Times of India News App for Latest India News.XStart your day smart with stories curated specially for you