Sports Briefs

first_imgPacquiao to return April 9 against Bradley LAS VEGAS (AP): Manny Pacquiao will return to the ring April 9 for the first time since losing to Floyd Mayweather Jr., and it will be against a familiar foe. Promoter Bob Arum said Wednesday that Pacquiao will fight Timothy Bradley at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for a third time in his first bout since losing a decision to Mayweather in the richest fight ever. Pacquiao re-injured a shoulder in that fight and was ineffective against Mayweather in dropping the unanimous decision. Technically, the fight with Bradley will be the rubber match of their three-fight series. However, most in boxing believe Pacquiao won the first fight in 2012 easily – the judges gave it to Bradley – and was largely dominant in the rematch, which he won by decision. Top rank spokesman Lee Samuels said the pay-per-view fight has not officially been signed, but that both fighters had agreed to terms and would be signing soon. Pacquiao was given a $2 million advance on his guaranteed $20 million purse, Samuels said. Messi scores in 500th game for Barca BARCELONA, Spain (AP): Lionel Messi scored in his 500th match for Barcelona to help them ease past Real Betis 4-0 on Wednesday and ensure they kept the lead of the Spanish league to conclude a superb year for the Catalan club. Barcelona broke a run of consecutive draws in the league to cap one of their best years in club history. Before kick-off Andres Iniesta paraded the recently won Club World Cup trophy, their fifth title won in 2015. The four goals scored took the year’s tally to 180, bettering Madrid’s milestone of 178 from 2014. “It was a spectacular year, and we wanted to finish it in the same way,” Messi said. “It will be complicated to better this, but like always we will try to do so.” Messi recovered from a hard knock with Antonio Adan that was ruled a penalty against the Betis goalkeeper, by scoring Barcelona’s second goal, after an own goal put the Catalan side on its way. CAS rejects appeal from Musa Bility LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP): The Court of Arbitration for Sport has dismissed Musa Bility’s appeal to overturn his exclusion from the FIFA presidential election. Bility, who is from Liberia, failed to make the field after failing an integrity check. FIFA’s election monitoring panel ruled the Liberian football federation president ineligible last month. No reason was publicly given, but Bility said a previous criminal allegation against him was dismissed by a Liberian court. CAS says it will release the grounds for its decision early this year. FIFA has approved five candidates for the election to be held on February 26. Michel Platini, who has been handed an eight-year ban but still hopes to run for FIFA presidency, is also expected to appeal to CAS. Monfils out of Hopman Cup with leg injury PERTH, Australia (AP): Gael Monfils has withdrawn from the Hopman Cup mixed team event due to an unspecified leg injury and will be replaced by French compatriot Kenny de Schepper. It was not clear whether the injury would prevent the 24th-ranked Monfils from competing in the Australian Open beginning January 18 in Melbourne. Hopman Cup tournament director Paul Kilderry said yesterday “it’s unfortunate to hear Gael is unable to play in Perth … we wish him well over the next couple of weeks ahead of the Aussie Open.” De Schepper and his partner Caroline Garcia play their first match Monday against the Britain team of Andy Murray and Heather Watson. Serena Williams and Jack Sock open for the United States, also on Monday, against Elina Svitolina and Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine.last_img read more

Raiders rookie punter shanks his introduction to the Great White North

first_imgPoor A.J. Cole. The Raiders flew to Canada for an exhibition game with the Packers, and all the rookie punter got was this stupid hoodie.Looks like @DanielCarlson38 and @AJCole90 are ready for pic.twitter.com/Is0m7MqoY3— Oakland Raiders (@Raiders) August 21, 2019 Oh, look closer, eh? Winnipeg is in the province of Manitoba (known for its northern polar bear population), not Alberta (known for badlands, glaciers and vast coniferous forests).Someone should have warned the rook …last_img

Absa rolls out tap-and-go payments

first_img23 November 2011Paying for low-value purchases in South Africa is about to get a lot faster and more efficient, with banking group Absa making its “tap-and-go” contactless payment facility available both to standalone point of sale (POS) merchants and to those using advanced or integrated point of sale till systems.In line with its soon-to-be-released prepaid offering, and the launch of several public transport initiatives, Absa is starting to gear up a merchant base to accept this form of contactless payment.The system allows for customers quickly and conveniently to pay for small purchases simply by waving their contactless card in front of a secure contactless reader at the point of sale.With no signature to check or PIN to enter, merchants can expect faster transactions, shorter lines and being able to serve more customers in less time.“There is no additional transaction fee to the retailer as these are treated as normal debit or credit card purchases,” said Absa Card’s Willie van Zyl in a statement this week.“Furthermore, it is aligned with global trends in mobile payment where, in future, consumers will be able to tap their mobile phones against these readers to pay for their low value payments.”Ideal for high volume businessesThe contactless payment solution is ideal for merchant outlets with high volumes of customers where speed of service is essential – in particular, fast food outlets, coffee shops, movie theatres, convenience stores, fuel forecourts, pharmacies and parking lots.Absa has imposed certain limits on this contactless payment which are aligned with the special exemption to control and manage these cards.Tap-and-go transactions are limited to R200 per transaction and users will be able to load a maximum of R1 500 on the card at any time. The total monthly value load limitation is R3 000 per month.“We are pioneering this new way to pay as part of making payments simpler for consumers, thereby making their lives easier,” said Van Zyl. “We have a roadmap of innovations that will change the way consumers purchase, hear about offers, redeem vouchers and coupons as well as make payments.”Absa is also offering incentives to merchants to ease the cost-burden of the reader prior to the cards reaching critical mass.SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Personal political divisions erupt over ballistic missile defence

first_imgOTTAWA – Personal and political divisions over ballistic missile defence were on clear display Tuesday, as a group of parliamentarians gathered on Parliament Hill to discuss the threat posed by North Korea.Members of the House of Commons’ defence committee agreed during a rare summer meeting to a series of emergency briefings in the coming weeks on the government’s plan should North Korea attack.The meeting came as the U.S. Treasury Department upped the ante on North Korea by sanctioning several Chinese and Russian entities for supporting the rogue state’s nuclear and missile programs.There was no immediate word of Canada following with its own sanctions.Instead, much of the discussion in the hallways before and after the committee meeting centred on whether Canada should join the U.S. continental missile-defence shield, after famously opting out of the system in 2005.The Trudeau government has sidestepped questions about Canada’s intentions, saying only that ballistic missiles are one threat being discussed as Canada and the U.S. look to upgrade North America’s defences.But one Liberal MP said Tuesday that Canada should reconsider its decision not to join the U.S. missile shield, even as the Conservatives danced around the issue and the NDP reaffirmed its historic opposition.Liberal MP Mark Gerretsen said a lot has changed since then-prime minister Paul Martin decided Canada would not join ballistic missile defence in 2005.“Personally, I think that we do need to start to look at what Canada’s role will be in that,” he told reporters after the committee meeting.“We should be having an ongoing discussion about what our role should be in that. And I think 10 years plus after the fact is a timely opportunity to have that discussion again.”Gerretsen would not comment on the government’s official position, or whether his view was shared by many other members of his party.But fellow Liberal MP Stephen Fuhr, chairman of the defence committee, noted that Canada has limited resources when it comes to defence — a reference to the fact the U.S. has spent about $100 billion on its missile shield.Fuhr also played down the threat posed by North Korea, citing military officials and defence experts who told the committee last year that there was no direct threat to Canada from another country.“Even if we wind back the media in the last 30 days, I don’t think Canada was ever mentioned in the rhetoric that was flying back and forth between North Korea and the United States,” he said.Meanwhile, Conservative MPs refused to say Tuesday where their party sits now.The Liberals were in office when Canada declined to join the defence system in 2005, but Stephen Harper made no move to reverse course during the Tories’ 10 years in power.That was despite Conservatives having pressed for Canada to join while they were in opposition to Martin’s government.Conservative defence critic James Bezan suggested his party would take a position once the defence committee is briefed on North Korea, even as he referenced the fiery debate from 12 years ago.“You’ve got to remember the history behind that discussion, the wounds that were created because of the decision by Paul Martin back in 2005. And things didn’t change until this summer,” Bezan added.“So from this point forward, everyone is looking at how we can best work with the United States. How we can work through NORAD in dealing with this new threat.”The only party with a clear position appeared to be the New Democrats, with NDP foreign affairs critic Helene Laverdiere calling on the Liberals to reaffirm their opposition to ballistic missile defence.“It’s cheaper to develop new weapons than to develop that kind of defensive system,” she said.“And that kind of defensive system only leads countries like North Korea but also countries like China and Russia, who may feel concerned, to upgrade their systems and it leads to escalation.”Laverdiere called for Canada to take more of a leadership role in finding a diplomatic solution and to support efforts at the UN for full nuclear disarmament around the world.— Follow @leeberthiaume on Twitter.last_img read more

Benjamin Pavard denies Bayern Munich move

first_imgVfb Stuttgart defender Benjamin Pavard has denied agreeing a summer move to join Bayern Munich.The Frenchman has been linked with a move to the Bundesliga champions all season-long and recent reports claimed an agreement over a transfer is already in place.However, the 22-year-old insists his future remains uncertain.“I’ve not signed anything with Bayern,” Pavard said, according to FourFourTwo.“The interest of such a club makes me happy, but I’m focused on Stuttgart today. I don’t think about next summer.”Pavard also said he wanted a Frenchman to win the Ballon d’Or award, after Luka Modric pipped Antoine Griezmann and Raphael Varane to the award.RB Leipzig, Bayern Munich, Robert LewadowskiMatch Preview: RB Leipzig vs Bayern Munich Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 RB Leipzig will have the chance to prove their title-winning capabilities when they host Bayern Munich today at 18:30 (CET).“I’d have liked a Frenchman to win it,” he said. “Players like Raphael Varane, who’s the only one to have won the World Cup and the Champions League in the same year, or Antoine Griezmann had a great year. They would have deserved it.”Pavard says his own stock among fans in his homeland has increased significantly since his performances in Russia.“In France, and especially Paris, I can’t take the metro. I have to put my hood up. But it’s a fame I live with well,” he added.“When I was little, I wanted to become a professional player. Now I’ve done it, I want to win trophies. I have already won the most beautiful trophy. I hope there will be others. In any case, I won’t complain about being recognised.”last_img read more

Xavi tells Joshua Kimmich You would be perfect for Barca

first_imgBarcelona legend Xavi Hernandez revealed his admiration for the “versatile” Bayern Munich star Joshua Kimmich, who he believes could even eclipse him as a playerThe Germany international first rose to prominence under Pep Guardiola at Bayern in the 2015/16 season before the Catalan coach left for Manchester City.While his normal position is at right-back, Kimmich’s versatility has won him many admirers with the 23-year-old being deployed in a central midfield role at Bayern this season.Due to this, Xavi is convinced Kimmich would be a great coup for Barcelona.“I spoke to Pep Guardiola, my ex-coach from Barcelona, about him,” Xavi told Bild at Bayern’s training camp in Doha, Qatar, alongside Kimmich.“Pep said: ‘I have a player in the team who can play in every position!’“I asked, ‘Who is the boy?’ He told me something about a man named ‘Kimmitsch’, whom I honestly had never heard of before.“Since that day, when I talked to Pep, I have followed your career. After all, Pep says that for a reason.“I knew right away, when I saw you playing, that you could become a great player. And that’s you today!“Joshua is the present and future of FC Bayern and the German national team. And you really can play in any position.”He added: “You would be the perfect player for FC Barcelona!FC Barcelona, Valencia CFMatch Preview: Barcelona vs Valencia Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Is derby time in La Liga, as Barcelona welcomes Valencia to the Camp Nou Stadium tonight at 21:00 (CET).“In my career, I have always kept my eyes open to find players who would suit Barca well.“As previously with Philipp Lahm, Joshua Kimmich could without any problems play at Barcelona. That would fit well.“But Bayern Munich play on the same level as Barca, and you can achieve a lot there.”Before joining Doha-based club Al Sadd in 2015, Xavi was regarded as one of the planet’s greatest playmakers after managing 85 goals and 181 assists in a staggering 769 games for Barcelona.The former Spain international has won many honours throughout his career, which includes a World Cup, two European titles, four Champions Leagues and eight La Liga crowns.But the 38-year-old, who could retire from playing football this year, reckons Kimmich’s versatility could make him an even greater asset for Barcelona than what he used to be.“I thought before I met Joshua that he wanted to be a defender,” said Xavi.“But he already told me that he has another big wish. Joshua can play perfectly in midfield as a number six.“Definitely [he can be the next Xavi]. He can make the difference.“He can be one of the best players in world football in several positions, maybe he already is.“That distinguishes him from me: I could play in one position, he is versatile.”last_img read more

Bernard Colebrook Sentenced to 5 years imprisonment

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, February 7, 2017 -In the Supreme Court today (Tuesday 7th February 2017), 27-year-old Bernard Colebrooke of Five Cays Providenciales, pleaded guilty to Keeping Firearm and Keeping Ammunition.  The charges were laid as a result of an Authority to Search warrant that was executed at the home of Colebrook on Wednesday 19th October 2016 in Five Cays where Police found one (1) Silver and Black P-380 Caliber Firearm serial #AP388890, one (1) magazine containing three (3) rounds of 380 ammunitions under a mattress.  He was arrested and later charged with the offences mentioned and was sentenced to 5 years imprisonment for both charges.  The sentence will run concurrently.Press Release: RTCIPF#MagneticMediaNews #BernardColebrook Related Items:#BernardColebrook, #magneticmedianewslast_img read more

Hundreds of thousands visit San Diego beaches over Memorial Day Weekend

first_img 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) — An estimated 105 thousand people flocked to the beach Monday to celebrate Memorial Day.According to San Diego Lifeguards, crews performed 28 rescues, 1,173 preventatives acts and responded to 30 medical aid calls.Over the course of the entire holiday weekend, an estimated 354 thousand people were at the beach.Crews performed 96 rescues, 4,212 preventative acts and responded to 148 medical calls in total. , Hundreds of thousands visit San Diego beaches over Memorial Day Weekend Posted: May 28, 2018center_img May 28, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

New 20182022 State Suicide Prevention Plan Released

first_imgAlaskans accept responsibility for preventing suicide.Alaskans prevent and mitigate the impact of trauma, substance abuse, and other risk factors contributing to suicide.Alaskans communicate, cooperate, and coordinate suicide prevention efforts.Alaskans have immediate access to prevention, treatment, and recovery services they need.Alaskans support survivors in healing.Quality data and research is available and used for planning, implementation, and evaluation of suicide prevention efforts. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Statewide Suicide Prevention Council released an updated five-year State Suicide Prevention Plan for the state of Alaska. The action plan stresses that all Alaskans  play a role in building resilient individuals and resilient communities. Council Chairperson Sharon Fishel: “We’ve seen tremendous progress in public understanding that people can support mental health like they can physical health, and mental illnesses such as depression and substance misuse disorder are chronic conditions that should be managed like heart disease and diabetes.” The plan referred to as “Recasting the Net” builds on the 2012-2017 state plan, with updated information and resources and broken down to six main goals. Fishel: “We’re excited to build on the progress we’ve made with help from community partners like You Are Not Alone clubs in high schools.” Story as aired: Audio PlayerJennifer-on-suicide-prevention-plan.mp3VmJennifer-on-suicide-prevention-plan.mp300:00RPdlast_img read more