NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting The elimination in the Copa quarterfinals was the latest setback for Madrid in what has been a disappointing season.It is fourth in the Spanish league, trailing leader Barcelona by 19 points with a game in hand, and its only realistic chance of a title the rest of the season will be in the Champions League, where it faces Paris Saint-Germain in the last 16.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe Bernabeu crowd loudly jeered Madrid after the loss, with Zidane among those criticized the most after fielding second-stringers despite the big gap to Barcelona in La Liga.“We clearly failed,” Zidane said. “And I’m the one responsible for it.” Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Alaves forward Ruben Sobrino, who scored in both matches, missed the decisive penalty by sending the ball over the crossbar at Mendizorroza Stadium.Rodrigo, Santi Mina and Jose Luis Gaya all converted from the spot for the visitors, with their only miss coming from midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia after a save by goalkeeper Antonio Sivera. Alaves’ goals in the shootout were scored by Tomas Pina and Munir El Haddadi.El Haddadi put Alaves in front with a header into the top corner after a long cross by Rodrigo Ely in the 73rd, and Santi Mina equalized in a breakaway four minutes later after a making a run from near the halfway line.Sobrino netted the winner from close range following a free kick into the area. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Leganes’ players celebrate their victory against Real Madrid at the end of the Spanish Copa del Rey quarterfinal second leg soccer match between Real Madrid and Leganes at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2018. Leganes won 2-1. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)MADRID — Real Madrid followed its biggest win of the season with its most embarrassing defeat on Wednesday, and the pressure is back on for coach Zinedine Zidane and his players.After routing Deportivo La Coruna 7-1 to give fans a glimmer of hope after a series of poor results, Madrid crashed out of the Copa del Rey with a shock 2-1 loss to Leganes at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.ADVERTISEMENT San Miguel Beer still unscathed; Meralco defense junks KIA LATEST STORIES Playing without Cristiano Ronaldo and other regular starters, Madrid was unable to defend its 1-0 win from the first leg, being eliminated on away goals after a 2-2 draw on aggregate.“We were not supposed to be eliminated like this after having won the first leg,” said Zidane, calling the defeat the worst moment of his coaching career with Madrid. “I’m upset. It’s a big disappointment. I know it’s a difficult night for the fans.”It’s the second consecutive year Madrid has been eliminated in the Copa quarterfinals, having lost to Celta Vigo last season.Leganes, based just south of Madrid, was playing in the last eight of the Copa for the first time in the team’s 89-year history.“The key was that we believed we could achieve this, even after the loss last week,” Leganes coach Asier Garitano said. “We played a great match and everything went well.”ADVERTISEMENT The visitors provided the bigger threat at the Bernabeu, opening the scoring with Javi Eraso’s curling shot into the top corner of the net. Eraso picked up the loose ball just outside the area after a bad exchange of passes between Madrid defenders Achraf Hakimi and Nacho Fernandez. Hakimi’s pass was too short and Fernandez couldn’t control the ball under pressure from Eraso.After being jeered at halftime, Madrid came back strongly after the break, with Karim Benzema scoring early with a close-range shot over the goalkeeper after a through ball by Lucas Vazquez. The goal ended Benzema’s six-match scoreless streak that dated back to November.However, Leganes stunned the home crowd again less than 10 minutes later, when Gabriel Pires scored with a header from a corner taken by Eraso.Benzema nearly scored an equalizer that would have allowed Madrid to advance in the 81st, but his shot from inside the area was saved by goalkeeper Nereo Champagne. The goalkeeper also stopped Sergio Ramos from scoring with a header in the 85th.Madrid, which won the Spanish Super Cup and the Club World Cup earlier this season, endured a three-match winless streak at home before trouncing Deportivo in Sunday’s league match.On Tuesday, Sevilla advanced to the semifinals after eliminating Atletico Madrid 5-2 on aggregate. Three-time defending champion Barcelona hosts city rival Espanyol on Thursday to try to overcome a 1-0 first-leg loss.WIN ON PENALTIESTwo penalty saves by goalkeeper Jaume Domenech helped Valencia defeat Alaves 3-2 in a shootout.A 2-1 win by Alaves in regulation time of the second leg evened the series at 3-3 on aggregate. Domenech then stopped shots by Alfonso Pedraza and forward Hernan Perez to send Valencia through to the last four for the second time in three seasons. Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH MOST READ Read Next John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding View comments
Home fans will be treated to a double-bill of British number ones at Wimbledon on Wednesday when Johanna Konta stars in a revenge play against Croatia’s Donna Vekic before defending champion Andy Murray takes to the stage.With world number two Rafa Nadal bringing down the curtain on the scheduled matches, taking on the United States’ Donald Young, a few more chapters in the quest for this year’s titles will be written by the end of the day.Sixth seed Konta, 26, lost to 21-year-old Vekic, ranked 58, in the final of the Nottingham grasscourt tournament last month.”It’s another opportunity for me to try and find a way to come out on top this time,” Konta told reporters about the match-up after her first round win over Hsieh Su-Wei.Twice champion Murray, who has been suffering with a sore hip, has already dispatched one player with an armoury of unconventional shots, Kazakh Alexander Bublik.He now takes on 97th ranked Dustin Brown of Germany, whose trademark dreadlocks are often sent flying as he leaps for seemingly ungettable balls.”You know, he’s unpredictable. You know he’s going to go for it. Also you know he hits a lot of dropshots. He can play slice. Sometimes he hits two first serves, goes for a huge second serve. It’s not easy to play players like that,” Murray said.One man who knows that all too well is Nadal, whom Brown famously beat in 2015 in the second round.But this year, a rejuvenated Nadal, 31, is coming into the championship off the back of his 10th French Open win and looking to add to his two previous Wimbledon crowns.advertisementHe plays fellow left-hander Young, ranked 43, who reached the second round after Denis Istomin retired on Monday.”He’s a player that plays quick, hits the ball so quick,” Nadal said of Young. “Sometimes he’s able to play at a very, very high level. Is a dangerous opponent, no? Is a lefty, too, so that makes a big difference.”On Court One, ninth seed Kei Nishikori takes on Ukraine’s Sergiy Stakhovsky, five-times champion Venus Williams plays Wang Qiang of China, and world number two Simona Halep will face Beatriz Haddad Maia, of Brazil.
zoomIllustration; Image Courtesy: Keppel Offshore & Marine Singapore-based shipbuilder Keppel Offshore & Marine has secured two contracts worth around SGD 130 million (USD 95.5 million).Through its subsidiaries, Keppel Shipyard Ltd (Keppel Shipyard) and Keppel FELS Limited (Keppel FELS), the shipbuilder agreed the modification of a floating production storage and offloading vessel (FPSO) and the construction of a new dredger with repeat customers.Namely, Keppel Shipyard and Yinson Nepeta Production, a subsidiary of Yinson Production (Yinson), signed a deal for the fast-track modification and upgrading of FPSO Allan. Keppel Shipyard’s scope of work includes refurbishment and life extension works, fabrication and installation of a new riser balcony, spread mooring system and helideck, as well as modification of the vessel’s topsides and marine systems.The project for Yinson is scheduled to commence in the third quarter of 2019 with delivery expected in the first quarter of 2020. Upon completion, the FPSO will have a storage capacity of 700,000 barrels of oil and a processing capacity of 60,000 barrels of oil per day. It will be deployed in the Anyala and Madu fields, offshore Nigeria for First Exploration and Petroleum Development Co Ltd.The shipbuilding contract was signed between Keppel FELS and Van Oord for the construction of a high-specification trailing suction hopper dredger (TSHD). This follows from an option granted to Van Oord based on earlier contracts entered in May 2018 for two similar units.Expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2022, the TSHD will have a hopper capacity of 10,500m3 and will be LNG ready.“This is the third newbuild dredger for Van Oord and the third FPSO project for Yinson. We are able to leverage the experience of working closely with our customers as well as our engineering and construction expertise to further improve productivity on their projects,” Chris Ong, CEO of Keppel O&M, said.
APTN National NewsThe Lake St. Martin First Nation in Manitoba was forced to evacuate due to flooding last spring.Since then, the number of evacuees has inexplicably risen.This has raised concerns in Ottawa.However, the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs say it’s much ado about nothing.APTN National News reporter Matt Thordarson has this story.
Now playing: Watch this: So what does it actually taste like? The crunch from the breading and the smell from the fry was exactly what I expected from a good chicken nugget. But I was pleasantly surprised at how similar the cultured chicken itself tasted compared to the real deal, even if it didn’t look like your typical KFC or McDonald’s nugget. You can watch the video to find out more.Just’s next cultured meat product will be wagyu beef. Several other companies are also developing clean meat derived from animal cells, like Memphis Meats (chicken and duck) and SuperMeat (also chicken).If you’re hankering to try your own cultured chicken nugget, you’ll have to hold tight a little longer. The nugget needs to get USDA and FDA approval in the US, but Just says it’ll first be available in selected high-end restaurants in Asia later this year once it gets regulatory approval. The video on this page is an episode of Beta Test, the show that puts you in the front seat with me as I test out crazy tech products and experiences. Check back each month for a new show! You can also find the series on YouTube. Chicken nuggets usually get a pretty bad rap. Whether they’re filled with mystery meat or come with a mouthful of additives, they also involve slaughtering an animal. But the nugget I’m about to eat from San Francisco-based Just was grown in a lab, using cells taken from a living chicken. It’s cultured meat (and cruelty-free).Carnivores, breathe a sigh of relief. Tags Unlike entirely plant-based products such as the Impossible Burger, the Just chicken nugget is actual meat.Cultured meat, also called lab-grown or clean meat, starts with the collection of cells, usually done through a biopsy so the animals aren’t harmed. Just says it has also been able to get cells from a chicken feather. The most viable cells are chosen and then given the right nutrients they need to grow in a bioreactor. In the case of this chicken nugget, those nutrients are plant-based.Not only does cultured meat avoid sacrificing animals, it could take fewer resources to produce than traditional livestock. Around 14.5 percent of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions are from livestock, according to a report from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. But one study questions how environmentally friendly clean meat products could be if the process is energy-intensive.The chicken nugget once plated with Just’s plant-based mayo as a dipping sauce. CNET Just’s cultured chicken product takes around two weeks to grow in a bioreactor. The team of chefs plays a major part in creating the product once the scientists have developed the biology. “They are really the ones that can assemble everything and come up with the ideal ratios of cell types,” says Vitor Santo, director of cellular agriculture. Beta Test Share your voice 7:58 Comments Sci-Tech Healthy eating 6 Trying a lab-grown chicken nugget