Madrid stunned by Leganes at home, eliminated from Copa

first_imgNEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting The elimination in the Copa quarterfinals was the latest setback for Madrid in what has been a disappointing season.It is fourth in the Spanish league, trailing leader Barcelona by 19 points with a game in hand, and its only realistic chance of a title the rest of the season will be in the Champions League, where it faces Paris Saint-Germain in the last 16.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe Bernabeu crowd loudly jeered Madrid after the loss, with Zidane among those criticized the most after fielding second-stringers despite the big gap to Barcelona in La Liga.“We clearly failed,” Zidane said. “And I’m the one responsible for it.” Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Alaves forward Ruben Sobrino, who scored in both matches, missed the decisive penalty by sending the ball over the crossbar at Mendizorroza Stadium.Rodrigo, Santi Mina and Jose Luis Gaya all converted from the spot for the visitors, with their only miss coming from midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia after a save by goalkeeper Antonio Sivera. Alaves’ goals in the shootout were scored by Tomas Pina and Munir El Haddadi.El Haddadi put Alaves in front with a header into the top corner after a long cross by Rodrigo Ely in the 73rd, and Santi Mina equalized in a breakaway four minutes later after a making a run from near the halfway line.Sobrino netted the winner from close range following a free kick into the area. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Leganes’ players celebrate their victory against Real Madrid at the end of the Spanish Copa del Rey quarterfinal second leg soccer match between Real Madrid and Leganes at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2018. Leganes won 2-1. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)MADRID — Real Madrid followed its biggest win of the season with its most embarrassing defeat on Wednesday, and the pressure is back on for coach Zinedine Zidane and his players.After routing Deportivo La Coruna 7-1 to give fans a glimmer of hope after a series of poor results, Madrid crashed out of the Copa del Rey with a shock 2-1 loss to Leganes at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.ADVERTISEMENT San Miguel Beer still unscathed; Meralco defense junks KIA LATEST STORIEScenter_img Playing without Cristiano Ronaldo and other regular starters, Madrid was unable to defend its 1-0 win from the first leg, being eliminated on away goals after a 2-2 draw on aggregate.“We were not supposed to be eliminated like this after having won the first leg,” said Zidane, calling the defeat the worst moment of his coaching career with Madrid. “I’m upset. It’s a big disappointment. I know it’s a difficult night for the fans.”It’s the second consecutive year Madrid has been eliminated in the Copa quarterfinals, having lost to Celta Vigo last season.Leganes, based just south of Madrid, was playing in the last eight of the Copa for the first time in the team’s 89-year history.“The key was that we believed we could achieve this, even after the loss last week,” Leganes coach Asier Garitano said. “We played a great match and everything went well.”ADVERTISEMENT The visitors provided the bigger threat at the Bernabeu, opening the scoring with Javi Eraso’s curling shot into the top corner of the net. Eraso picked up the loose ball just outside the area after a bad exchange of passes between Madrid defenders Achraf Hakimi and Nacho Fernandez. Hakimi’s pass was too short and Fernandez couldn’t control the ball under pressure from Eraso.After being jeered at halftime, Madrid came back strongly after the break, with Karim Benzema scoring early with a close-range shot over the goalkeeper after a through ball by Lucas Vazquez. The goal ended Benzema’s six-match scoreless streak that dated back to November.However, Leganes stunned the home crowd again less than 10 minutes later, when Gabriel Pires scored with a header from a corner taken by Eraso.Benzema nearly scored an equalizer that would have allowed Madrid to advance in the 81st, but his shot from inside the area was saved by goalkeeper Nereo Champagne. The goalkeeper also stopped Sergio Ramos from scoring with a header in the 85th.Madrid, which won the Spanish Super Cup and the Club World Cup earlier this season, endured a three-match winless streak at home before trouncing Deportivo in Sunday’s league match.On Tuesday, Sevilla advanced to the semifinals after eliminating Atletico Madrid 5-2 on aggregate. Three-time defending champion Barcelona hosts city rival Espanyol on Thursday to try to overcome a 1-0 first-leg loss.WIN ON PENALTIESTwo penalty saves by goalkeeper Jaume Domenech helped Valencia defeat Alaves 3-2 in a shootout.A 2-1 win by Alaves in regulation time of the second leg evened the series at 3-3 on aggregate. Domenech then stopped shots by Alfonso Pedraza and forward Hernan Perez to send Valencia through to the last four for the second time in three seasons. Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH MOST READ Read Next John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding View commentslast_img read more

ISL 2019-20: Odisha FC to Play First Three Home Games in Pune Instead of Bhubaneswar

first_imgBhubaneswar: Debutants Odisha FC will be playing their first three home games of the Indian Super League in Pune owing to construction work at the city’s Kalinga Stadium.The franchise will play the matches against ATK, Bengaluru FC and Hyderabad FC on November 24, December 4 and 11 respectively at Pune’s Shree Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex. Kalinga Stadium, which is owned by the Odisha Sports and Youth Services Department, is not ready as its upgradation work got delayed due to persistent showers in the state capital.As the venue is going to host the 2020 FIFA U-17 women’s World Cup, the state government is trying to ensure that the turf is in proper condition as per the FIFA guidelines. The stadium is expected to be ready before December 16.All other six games will go ahead as per schedule and informing about the same, Odisha FC owner Rohan Sharma said, “Unfortunately, things are beyond our control so we have to consider an alternative venue for the first three home games. We look forward to having Kalinga Stadium full when we have our eventual first home game. Bhubaneswarfootballindian footballindian super league First Published: November 9, 2019, 8:29 PM IST Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time.last_img read more

Neymar Loses Brazil Captaincy To Dani Alves For Copa America

first_imgRIO DE JANEIRO — Brazilian star Neymar lost his national team’s captaincy for the Copa America to veteran Dani Alves, in another move suggesting the striker will be under heavy pressure to deliver the title of the South American tournament on home soil.Brazil’s football confederation, CBF, said in a statement on Monday that 36-year-old defender Alves, a close friend of Neymar’s who plays with him at Paris Saint-Germain, will start wearing the armband in the friendly against Qatar on June 5 in Brasilia.The Copa America will be played between June 14 and July 7, and Brazil’s first match will be against Bolivia in Sao Paulo on opening day.CBF also said Brazil coach Tite informed Neymar of his decision on Saturday, the day the Paris Saint-Germain striker arrived at the national team’s training ground outside Rio de Janeiro. The soccer body also said Alves will only join the group on Tuesday, but was informed on Sunday of his new status.Daniel Alves será o capitão da #SeleçãoBrasileira na Copa América. Boa sorte, craque! ⚽?? #JogaBolaSaiba mais em https://t.co/8JGEihDKZXFoto: @lucasFigfoto / CBF pic.twitter.com/WVGf96pYDa— CBF Futebol (@CBF_Futebol) May 27, 2019Tite, Neymar and Dani Alves have not talked about the decision yet.The 27-year-old Neymar was his national team’s captain since the elimination in the World Cup quarterfinals against Belgium in 2018. Brazil’s coach said then he wanted to give more responsibilities to the striker, who is under criticism from Brazil fans since his unconvincing performances in Russia.Tite’s decision comes after Neymar’s altercation with a fan at the French Cup final on April 27. The striker apologized for the altercation after PSG lost on penalties to Rennes, but that was not enough to keep the armband. Brazil’s coach has been under pressure since to take away the captaincy from Neymar.New captain Alves won Copa America in 2007, and scored a goal in the 3-0 victory against Argentina in the final. He has the highest number of caps on Brazil with 138.The right-back was expected to be Brazil’s captain during the World Cup in Russia, but he suffered a left knee injury that didn’t allow him to play.Brazil’s preparations for Copa America were halted on Monday, with players resuming training Tuesday afternoon.Brazil is in Group A with Bolivia, Venezuela and Peru.TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

Rep Miller hails landmark reforms to Michigans nofault system

first_img09May Rep. Miller hails landmark reforms to Michigan’s no-fault system Legislator: Choice, protections part of dedicated efforts to save drivers moneyState Rep. Aaron Miller, of Sturgis, today cast a historic vote to bring lower car insurance prices to residents and families in Southwest Michigan, joining House legislators in approving a plan to reform Michigan’s broken no-fault system.The plan guarantees lower rates for all drivers in Michigan, reducing what currently is the highest average car insurance premium in the nation. The average premium is also twice as high as in neighboring states such as Indiana. The bill offers personal injury coverage options, fights fraud and abuse, and addresses medical costs.“Finally,” Miller emphatically said after the vote. “Finally, after literally decades of gridlock, we’re going to be giving people some real rate relief and putting people’s hard-earned money back in their pockets. The out-of-control status quo has hit border communities the hardest. Workforce talent is crossing state lines more than ever to escape crushing premiums. I can’t stress enough how much our state and local economies will benefit when hard-working Michigan residents don’t have to choose any more between buying car insurance and putting food on the table. This is a true game-changer and I really think it’s just the start of driving down costs for drivers. Today is a happy day.”Michigan’s costs are high largely because it’s the only state mandating unlimited lifetime health care coverage through car insurance. The House plan allows those currently using the coverage to keep it, and those who want it in the future to continue buying it – while providing more affordable options.The plan:• Guarantees lower rates on the personal injury protection portion of policies. It would result in a 10-percent reduction within the PIP portion of bills for those buying unlimited coverage, a 30-percent drop for drivers choosing $500,000 in coverage, a 60-percent reduction for those purchasing $250,000 in coverage, and an 80-percent drop at the $50,000 coverage level.• Allows seniors with retiree health coverage such as Medicare, and those with health insurance policies that cover car accident-related injuries, to opt out of PIP coverage;• Establishes fee schedules to end the practice of charging far more to treat car accident victims than other patients;• Cracks down on fraud and abuse by creating a fraud task force;• Provides more financial oversight of and transparency within the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association;• Sets reasonable limits on compensation for attendant care contracts; and• Helps the state ensure insurance companies charge fair rates, while addressing attorney fee settlements and significantly reducing litigation.The sweeping legislation now advances to the Senate for consideration. Categories: Miller News,Newslast_img read more

The BBC Trust and the S4C Authority the governing

first_imgThe BBC Trust and the S4C Authority, the governing bodies of the BBC and Welsh-language public broadcasters S4C respectively, have launched a public consultation on the agreement that sets out the terms by which S4C will be financed via the BBC licence fee from next year.Interested parties have until October 23 to make their views know. The BBC was forced to accept responsibility for funding the Welsh broadcaster as part of its controversial licence fee with the government in 2010. Last year the pair struck a deal designed to balance S4C’s editorial independence with accountability to the BBC for funding.The BBC and S4C have agreed funding levels for the Welsh broadcaster up to 2017, with £76.3 million (€97.4 million) to be provided by the BBC Trust for 2013-14 and an additional £6.7 million provided by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.last_img read more

A New WhatsApp Scam Tricks Users into Paying Subscription Fee

first_imgAdvertisement Last month, TheNextWeb Website reported, a scam that was tricking WhatsApp users into downloading the app in their favorite color. When clicked, it installs adware on your smartphone instead. Like many other fake URLs, this one also consists of letters from the Cyrillic alphabet. So it can be easily differentiated if one is extra careful.In other news today, the messaging platform is said to have been hit by another scam, this time around tricking users into paying charges by saying their WhatsApp subscription has expired.According to reports by the Independent Website, People are being targeted by a message that reads your subscription has expired, and to verify your account and purchase a lifetime subscription for just 0.99 Pounds (Roughly 4,578 UGX) simply tap on this link. – Advertisement – By encouraging people to click on the suspicious link, scammers are tricking people into providing their payment details. However, people who have received the WhatsApp message have been encouraged to delete it immediately.Notably, WhatsApp, of course, is free for download and use, and has been for some time, though the service used to charge a nominal amount as annual subscription fee when it had initially launched.IANS has also encouraged those that might have clicked on the link, to safeguard themselves by running an antivirus software on their device to ensure they aren’t being infected with malware.And one other option is to block the sender.last_img read more