Lamb’s final-day record underscores Jamaica superiority at 48th CARIFTA Games

first_imgGEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands (CMC) – Deshaun Lamb’s record-breaking run in the Under-17 Boys sprint hurdles underlined Jamaica’s dominance as the perennial powerhouse once again showcased their superiority on the final day of the 48th CARIFTA Games here Easter Monday.Jamaica swept all four sprint hurdles and relay finals early in the evening session before returning to put an exclamation mark on proceedings by also winning all four distance relays, at the Truman Bodden Sports Complex.In fact, the Jamaicans won 17 of the 21 events in the final session to finish the championship with 85 medals overall – 36 gold, 33 silver and 16 bronze.Lamb’s performance epitomised his country’s swagger as he raced to a new time of 13.54 seconds, eclipsing countryman Vashaun Vascianna’s 13.60 set last year in The Bahamas.Running out of lane four, Lamb was pushed all the way by teammate Niel-Matthew Sutherland, and crossed the line only narrowly ahead.Sutherland took silver in 13.61 while Matthew Sophia of Curacao grabbed bronze in 13.64.Rasheed Broadbell also led a Jamaica one-two in the Under-20 Boys sprint hurdles when he won in 13.26 – just outside of Wilhem Belocian’s five-year-old record of 13.23.Running out of lane three, Broadbell started well, stumbled slightly when he crashed hurdle number three but stayed composed enough to recover and reach the line ahead of Vascianna in 13.32.Kay-Lagay Clarke ensured another Jamaican sweep of the top two spots in the Under-17 Girls when she stopped the clock in 13.68 to win gold ahead of teammate Crystal Shaw (13.72).Ackera Nugent, who claimed silver last year in the Under-17s, grabbed gold in the Under-20 Girls, winning in a time of 13.24.Jamaica also lived up to their high billing in the sprint relays. The team of Shaw, Clarke, Brianna Lyston and Glacian Loutin combined to open the account with victory in the Under-17 Girls age group, winning in a time of 45.63.They were not without a challenge, however, as Trinidad and Tobago pushed them all the way, especially on the anchor leg where Taejha Badal produced a searing run but just missed out.There was no such drama in the corresponding Boys final as Christopher Scott, on the third leg, got the stick to anchor Bouwajhie Nkrumie first, leaving the last 80 metres as a straightforward affair.Double sprint champion, Brianna Williams, then set in train her eventual capture of the Austin Sealy Award for the second straight year when she produced a fluent first leg in the Under-20 Girls final, as Jamaica took another uncomplicated victory in 44.25.Trinidad and Tobago were a distant second in 45.11 with Barbados holding on to bronze in 45.52.Jamaica faced their stiffest competition in the Boys Under-20s with Ryiem Robertson forced to chase down Bahamian Joel Johnson before catching him on the line, to win a thriller in 39.46, which was just outside of the CARIFTA record.The contest on the backstretch seemed between Jamaica and Trinidad until Adrian Curry Jr produced a blistering third leg for The Bahamas to bring them into contention.They were forced to settle for silver in 39.49 while Barbados held bronze in 40.18.For the second straight year, Kevroy Venson of Jamaica took gold in the gruelling Boys 5 000 metres but made it look easy, producing a trademark kick over the last 100 metres to cross the line in 15 minutes 21.30 seconds.The field events were not spared Jamaica’s wrath either. Rajuan Ricketts conjured up success in the Boys Under-17 triple jump when he measured 14.26 metres while Cobe Graham sustained the dominance with a throw of 18.62m to win the Under-20 Boys shot put.In the Girls Under-17 discus, Cedricka Williams measured 47.94m to lead a Jamaica one-two, with Damali Williams grabbing silver with 40.87m.Jamaica also swept the top two spots in the corresponding Boys event as Cobe Lawrence threw 53.32 for gold while Christopher Young took silver in 51.34.last_img read more

Syracuse’s reliance on Elijah Hughes evident in loss to Virginia Tech

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 8, 2020 at 1:49 am Contact Michael: | @MikeJMcCleary The ball came to Elijah Hughes, as it so often does, and the 6-foot-6 forward danced through contact on the perimeter, like a pinball taking its last few bounces before it falls out of play. It was late in the second half. Wabissa Bede dug into his torso and Hughes found a lane: The one that was open all game. This time, Hughes turned his back to the basket, muscled in and scored at the rim.Such a play is common for Hughes. He cut the Orange’s deficit to five points. But he needed a second try on this one. A turnover gave SU a chance to cut it further. Hughes got the ball again, dribbled up to the free-throw line and stepped back.“Coaches wanted me to make a play,” Hughes said. “Whether I was scoring, at the line, or getting someone a shot. So that was pretty much that.”Nearly doubling his first-half shot attempts in the second half of the game, Hughes and the Orange executed the game plan exactly how they wanted to. Syracuse (8-7, 1-3 Atlantic Coast), in a 67-63 loss to Virginia Tech (11-4, 2-2), looked to its star player late in the game as the game appeared to be falling out of reach. But sometimes even Hughes’ shots fell off the rim. In a rare inconsistent performance from Hughes, SU’s offensive futility was too much for him to overcome.“He finished well,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said. “He wasn’t good in the middle… or the beginning. He struggled there. But at the end, he finished well.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSo far this season for the Orange, Hughes has been a steadying presence despite the heavy load put upon him as the best player on a team littered with young players. But in recent games, Hughes has been lost within some of the Orange’s offensive inefficiencies.Hughes’ offensive outbursts undoubtedly coincide with some of SU’s best offensive stretches. Against Notre Dame, the Orange had a few timely makes yet no serious rhythm in the early part of the first half, and Hughes was held scoreless. But a nine-point burst awakened Syracuse and provided a game-changing run.Tuesday, Hughes attacked early and pulled up for a jumper to give the Orange their first two points of the game. Hughes looked alive after he bounced back and nailed a fadeaway 3-pointer early in the first half, and the Orange did too. An early lead ballooned to nine. Guarded mostly by Bede – whom he played against in high school – Hughes missed his final two shots of the half, yet the Orange still led.But the score flipped in the second half, and the Orange looked to Hughes to make a play. The ball was in his hands nearly every play. He tried what he could: On drives, on jumpers, on post-ups. Yet the Orange as a whole had gone cold. He started the second half 0-3 from the field and added a turnover. He didn’t get a bucket until the 12:11 mark of the second half.“They’re putting a lot of pressure on us,” Quincy Guerrier said.The frustration built, questionable foul calls occurred and Hughes’ energy gradually soured. Down by six points, Hughes rose up and drained a 3-point shot and the Orange jumped into a full-court press. SU trapped Bede at the midcourt line and Hughes closed in. Bede swung his arms and Hughes flew back. The play, followed by no call, proved costly. It opened up a lane for Bede, who swung the ball around, and Landers Nolley II found an open P.J. Horne in the corner.Hughes had been animated all game: He’d shaken his head at the free-throw line, argued calls, but this time he was more direct. He pointed out the far referee and shouted.“You know, I just thought (the officials) were bad,” Hughes said. “That’s my opinion. It’s not easy being a ref, obviously. But I just thought some of the calls were just… bad.”By then, the game was over. A few futile attempts by the Orange provided a glimmer of home, but as usual it was not enough. When the buzzer sounded, Hughes walked off the floor, slowed to a stop and shouted. He cocked his head up, and then quickly recalibrated. The struggles Tuesday are nothing new. And Hughes’ burden wasn’t either.He dipped his head, forcefully high-fived a team staff member and slugged to the locker room. Tonight, it wasn’t enough. It’s another loss behind him. Another game the Orange almost had. Another game to prepare for, when the ball will come back to Hughes again. Commentslast_img read more