The Supreme Court on Thursday agreed to reconstitute a Bench to continue monitoring a CBI probe into alleged extra-judicial killings by the Army, the Assam Rifles and the police in Manipur when insurgency was at its peak.The case has been in the back-burner since Justice Madan B. Lokur, who led the earlier two-judge Bench, retired in December last. Justice U.U. Lalit was the companion judge on that Bench.Senior advocate Colin Gonsalves, for the victims’ families and petitioners, made an urgent mention before Chief Justice of India (CJI) Ranjan Gogoi, apprising him of the fact that the case had not come up in a while.Mr. Gonsalves submitted that he had first mentioned the matter before Justice Lalit, who told him to mention it before the CJI. The CJI alone had the administrative power to constitute Benches to hear cases.“We will try to reconstitute the Bench,” the CJI told Mr. Gonsalves.In 2017, the court ordered a CBI probe into the alleged 1,528 extra-judicial killings from 2000 to 2012. The last few hearings saw the Justice Lokur Bench facing pressure to recuse himself from the case.This was in the form of a plea by serving and retired Army officers that there was a perception of judicial bias caused by certain oral comments made by the judges in court. The plea claimed that certain oral remarks of the Bench in an earlier hearing, reported widely in the media, questioning the non-arrest of accused persons, spooked the Army personnel operating in the State. Incidentally, the plea was fully supported by the Centre. Attorney General K.K. Venugopal had pitched in, saying that “more soldiers are killed than insurgents”.But the court’s amicus curiae in the case, advocate Menaka Guruswamy, and Mr. Gonsalves, had assured the Bench that the plea was merely an attempt to “overawe” the court.Finally, the Bench, in a detailed judgment in November 2018, refused to withdraw from the case. It concluded that the plea was unfounded. It said the oral observations were not intended to compromise the independence of the CBI probe.
BOSTON — Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopia won his second Boston Marathon on April 20, two years after he donated the medal from his first victory to the city in memory of the bombing victims.Kenya’s Carolina Rotich was the women’s champion, outsprinting Mare Dibaba down Boylston Street to win by 4 seconds.Desisa didn’t have much time to celebrate when he won in 2013.Hours after he crossed the finish line, two bombs exploded on Boylston Street and turned his victory into an afterthought. As the city mourned the three killed and 260 wounded in the explosions, he returned to Boston to donate the medal.Now Desisa has a Boston title he can enjoy.“I’m happy for No. 1,” he said. “I am happy to win and for a strong Boston 2013.”The 25-year-old Ethiopian won the 119th edition of the world’s most prestigious marathon in an unofficial time of 2 hours, 9 minutes, 17 seconds to beat Yemane Adhane Tsegay by 31 seconds. Kenya’s Wilson Chebet was third, another 34 seconds back.Dathan Ritzenhein of Rockford, Michigan, was the first American, in seventh. Defending champion Meb Keflezighi of San Diego was one spot behind him a year after he became the first American men’s champion since 1983, galvanizing the city behind him as a symbol of patriotism and resilience.Two years after the explosions, the race took a tentative step back toward normal.“Boston Strong” was still ubiquitous — on shirts and signs, and shouted by spectators. But the crowds along the 26.2-mile course from Hopkinton to Copley Square were smaller than last year, no doubt thinned by the mid-40 temperatures that came coupled with a stiff wind and rain that was expected to pick up in the afternoon.With many of the runners wearing long sleeves and gloves to fight off the cold, American Desiree Linden led for much of the women’s race, and fellow U.S. Olympian Shalane Flanagan was also in the pack through the midpoint.But Flanagan dropped back around Mile 18, and Linden fell off the pace in the final miles as Rotich and Ethiopians Mare Dibaba and Buzunesh Deba pulled away.With Deba, the runner-up last year, falling behind at the final turn onto Boylston Street, Rotich and Dibaba ran shoulder-to-shoulder for the final quarter-mile, switching places before Rotich kicked into the lead for her first Boston title.“I got to the last corner and I saw the finish line tape and I thought this is it, I’m not going to let it go,” said Rotich, who gave Kenya its fifth straight women’s victory in Boston. “I was like, ‘No, not today.’ And I kept going.”The 30-year-old Kenyan won in 2:24:55, with Deba another 6 seconds behind Dibaba.Linden finished fourth, and Flanagan was ninth.The men’s pack also seemed destined for a sprint to the tape before Desisa left Tsegay behind. Desisa and Rotich will collect $150,000 for their wins.American Tatyana McFadden won her third straight women’s wheelchair race, and Marcel Hug won his first men’s title earlier.Ernst Van Dyk, the most decorated Boston Marathon competitor in history, finished second in his attempt to win the race for an 11th time.Security for the second race after the bombings was visible but not intrusive. State and local police, some on bicycles and others riding all-terrain vehicles, were supplemented by National Guard soldiers who walked alongside the road, applauding passing runners and occasionally reaching across the temporary fencing to high-five spectators.___By Jimmy Golen, AP Sports Writer. AP writers Bob Salsberg, Philip Marcelo and Jennifer McDermott contributedTweetPinShare0 Shares