TV serials should get political content vetted first: EC official

first_imgElection officials in Maharashtra have asked production houses of two Hindi TV serials accused of espousing the BJP-led government’s schemes to get ‘politically influential’ content vetted with them before it is telecast. The content telecast was a clear violation of the model election code, an official said. Maharashtra’s additional chief electoral officer Dilip Shinde, in an order issued on Monday said, “The production houses should get politically influential content checked from election officials before using it in their serials.” The Congress had taken objection to characters in the two TV serials praising government schemes such as Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, Swacch Bharat Abhiyan and Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana. The two production houses had subsequently replied to the notice.“Going by the content aired, it is evident that it is a violation of model code of conduct, he said. “We have asked the production houses to remove the content from the serials immediately,” he added. Mr. Shinde said the explanation from producers of the two serials affirms the poll officials’ opinion that the content aired intends to influence “one political party“.Election officials in Maharashtra directed producers of television serials Bhabhiji Ghar Par Hai and Tujhse Hai Raabta to remove content that was deemed to benefit prospects of a political party. Last week, office of chief Electoral Officer (CEO) had served notices to Binaifer Kohli and Sanjay Kohlis Edit II Productions (Bhabhiji Ghar Par Hai) and Sonali Potnis and Aamir Jaffers Full Media House (Tujhse Hai Raabta) after it received a complaint from the Congress, accusing the two shows of espousing the benefits of schemes run by Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government.The producers had denied the allegations of promoting government schemes to propagate a political party, claiming they had no such intention. They also claimed that government schemes shown were general in nature,” the official said. The producers have also been asked to not to show any such content which may disturb the level playing field of any political party, the official said.last_img read more

Madrid stunned by Leganes at home, eliminated from Copa

first_imgNEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting The elimination in the Copa quarterfinals was the latest setback for Madrid in what has been a disappointing season.It is fourth in the Spanish league, trailing leader Barcelona by 19 points with a game in hand, and its only realistic chance of a title the rest of the season will be in the Champions League, where it faces Paris Saint-Germain in the last 16.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe Bernabeu crowd loudly jeered Madrid after the loss, with Zidane among those criticized the most after fielding second-stringers despite the big gap to Barcelona in La Liga.“We clearly failed,” Zidane said. “And I’m the one responsible for it.” Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Alaves forward Ruben Sobrino, who scored in both matches, missed the decisive penalty by sending the ball over the crossbar at Mendizorroza Stadium.Rodrigo, Santi Mina and Jose Luis Gaya all converted from the spot for the visitors, with their only miss coming from midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia after a save by goalkeeper Antonio Sivera. Alaves’ goals in the shootout were scored by Tomas Pina and Munir El Haddadi.El Haddadi put Alaves in front with a header into the top corner after a long cross by Rodrigo Ely in the 73rd, and Santi Mina equalized in a breakaway four minutes later after a making a run from near the halfway line.Sobrino netted the winner from close range following a free kick into the area. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Leganes’ players celebrate their victory against Real Madrid at the end of the Spanish Copa del Rey quarterfinal second leg soccer match between Real Madrid and Leganes at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2018. Leganes won 2-1. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)MADRID — Real Madrid followed its biggest win of the season with its most embarrassing defeat on Wednesday, and the pressure is back on for coach Zinedine Zidane and his players.After routing Deportivo La Coruna 7-1 to give fans a glimmer of hope after a series of poor results, Madrid crashed out of the Copa del Rey with a shock 2-1 loss to Leganes at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.ADVERTISEMENT San Miguel Beer still unscathed; Meralco defense junks KIA LATEST STORIEScenter_img Playing without Cristiano Ronaldo and other regular starters, Madrid was unable to defend its 1-0 win from the first leg, being eliminated on away goals after a 2-2 draw on aggregate.“We were not supposed to be eliminated like this after having won the first leg,” said Zidane, calling the defeat the worst moment of his coaching career with Madrid. “I’m upset. It’s a big disappointment. I know it’s a difficult night for the fans.”It’s the second consecutive year Madrid has been eliminated in the Copa quarterfinals, having lost to Celta Vigo last season.Leganes, based just south of Madrid, was playing in the last eight of the Copa for the first time in the team’s 89-year history.“The key was that we believed we could achieve this, even after the loss last week,” Leganes coach Asier Garitano said. “We played a great match and everything went well.”ADVERTISEMENT The visitors provided the bigger threat at the Bernabeu, opening the scoring with Javi Eraso’s curling shot into the top corner of the net. Eraso picked up the loose ball just outside the area after a bad exchange of passes between Madrid defenders Achraf Hakimi and Nacho Fernandez. Hakimi’s pass was too short and Fernandez couldn’t control the ball under pressure from Eraso.After being jeered at halftime, Madrid came back strongly after the break, with Karim Benzema scoring early with a close-range shot over the goalkeeper after a through ball by Lucas Vazquez. The goal ended Benzema’s six-match scoreless streak that dated back to November.However, Leganes stunned the home crowd again less than 10 minutes later, when Gabriel Pires scored with a header from a corner taken by Eraso.Benzema nearly scored an equalizer that would have allowed Madrid to advance in the 81st, but his shot from inside the area was saved by goalkeeper Nereo Champagne. The goalkeeper also stopped Sergio Ramos from scoring with a header in the 85th.Madrid, which won the Spanish Super Cup and the Club World Cup earlier this season, endured a three-match winless streak at home before trouncing Deportivo in Sunday’s league match.On Tuesday, Sevilla advanced to the semifinals after eliminating Atletico Madrid 5-2 on aggregate. Three-time defending champion Barcelona hosts city rival Espanyol on Thursday to try to overcome a 1-0 first-leg loss.WIN ON PENALTIESTwo penalty saves by goalkeeper Jaume Domenech helped Valencia defeat Alaves 3-2 in a shootout.A 2-1 win by Alaves in regulation time of the second leg evened the series at 3-3 on aggregate. Domenech then stopped shots by Alfonso Pedraza and forward Hernan Perez to send Valencia through to the last four for the second time in three seasons. Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH MOST READ Read Next John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding View commentslast_img read more

Strength in numbers: Thousands of Filipinos in Lebanon rally behind Gilas

first_imgCelebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side READ: Filipinos in Lebanon go all out in support of Gilas PilipinasAnd in Gilas’ tiff against Qatar on Sunday, Filipino fans took their admiration to the next level as they rallied behind their team even after the game.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsAs per Fiba.com, more than 2,000 fans came out to meet Gilas in its 80-74 win over Qatar. The victory put the squad on top of Group B with a 3-0 record with wins over defending champion China and Iraq.Photo from Fiba.comPhoto from Fiba.comPhoto from Fiba.comPhoto from Fiba.comPhoto from Fiba.comPhoto from Fiba.comPhoto from Fiba.comPhoto from Fiba.comPhoto from Fiba.comPhoto from Fiba.com Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Filipinos sure know how to show their all-out support to their beloved national basketball team.The Philippine team has been the biggest draw of the 2017 Fiba Asia Cup and the number of fans in attendance at Nouhad Nawfal Sports Complex in Beirut, Lebanon appears to be growing every time Gilas hits the floor.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters MOST READ DILG, PNP back suspension of classes during SEA Games Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next China stops skid, Korea stays spotless in AVC NGCP on security risk: Chinese just technical advisers View commentslast_img read more

India’s No. 1 ranking at stake says AB de Villiers

first_imgSouth Africa’s star batsman AB de Villiers has said that there would be a question mark on India’s number one ranking if they falter in the three-match series starting on December 16.”There’s been this feeling and stats show it, that their batters score bigger and they generally perform better at home, which is normal. This will be a big test for them. There’s always been the label that they struggle in South Africa,” de Villiers told The Independent. “If they don’t have success here, there’ll definitely be a question mark about their No. 1 ranking,” he said.De Villiers said he admires Sachin Tendulkar in the Indian team but hoped that the batsman does not strike form in the three-Test series starting in Centurion.”Sachin is a legend of the game and I will always look up to him and it’s great that he is here. It might be his last series in South Africa, so you’ve got to enjoy having the man around, but I’m hoping he doesn’t score too many hundreds.”The 26-year-old de Villiers has scored 4,540 runs in 63 Tests and has been a mainstay of South Africa’s batting line-up.De Villiers said the visitors would gain from having South African Gary Kirsten as coach but the hosts have quality bowlers to contain their much-vaunted batting line-up.”He (Kirsten) has got a lot of knowledge of conditions here. They’ll have all the necessary information. They are a class team and they gave us a run for our money the last time they were here. I back our seam bowlers. Dale (Steyn) and Morne (Morkel) will be big danger men. We are playing at home and we should know the conditions,” he said.advertisementDe Villiers, who had scored an unbeaten 278 against Pakistan in November, to become the highest scorer for South Africa in Tests, said “I would like to achieve a lot more. I have my goals now and I just want to go out there and win games for the team.”About his captain, the star batsman said, “I am the type of guy that needs a boost every now and then from the coaching staff and the captain. Graeme Smith’s always been there for me, backed me 100 per cent, even during the bad times,” he said.- With PTI inputslast_img read more