Sachin Tendulkar has for the first time admitted that the match-fixing episodes in 1999-2000 had initially affected his game and the Indian team had to go through a difficult and painful phase as “spectators looked at us with suspicion”.Tendulkar said he was not in the right frame of mind during India’s disastrous tour of Australia where they were thrashed 0-3 in 1999-2000.”I can tell you that I was never approached by anyone, neither we had any discussions about the same in the team meeting,” Tendulkar told former South African Board President Dr Ali Bacher in an interview for Super Sport Channel.”I remember that there was a stage in 1999-2000 when it was very difficult as we were to play Australia. Before the series these things started making rounds. As a cricketer that’s the last thing I want.”You want your beloved game to be as clean as possible. I wanted the spectators to enjoy the contest and not look at us with suspicion. To play well, players need to be in right frame of mind and I can tell you that I was not in that frame of mind,” Tendulkar said, recollecting the disastrous series.The pain in his voice was evident as he gave the interview. “Every match you play and people pass on loose comments. This was really hurting me and the whole team,” said the maestro.Tendulkar felt that their historic 2-1 series win over Australia at home was the turning point. “I was sure that we needed to put up a very special performance against Aussies so that cricket lovers forget what has happened in the past and start enjoying the game again and move on. With grace of God we managed to do that.advertisement”We lost the first match at Mumbai. But in the next match at Kolkata we fought back from very bad position and won that match to level the series. Last match was even harder. At Chennai while chasing small total we lost eight wickets but won that Test match and series too.”I was happy for the fact we forced cricket lovers to forget about that bad chapter and start following cricket again.”Recollecting the horror days of match fixing, Bacher revealed that the South African Board was indeed approached by bookmakers.”We were directly approached by bookmakers to take their offer to the players through team meeting. Those were days when in couple of ICC meetings, I had raised this issue,” he said.With inputs from PTI
German cruise line TUI Cruises took delivery of New Mein Schiff 2, a next-generation cruise ship, in Kiel on January 22, 2019.Built at Meyer Turku shipyard in Finland, the ship was transferred to Kiel at the beginning of January for the final equipment due to icy weather in the Turku archipelago.The 111,500-ton newbuild is a sister ship to New Mein Schiff 1, delivered to the cruise company in April last year. Featuring a length of 315 meters and a width of 36 meters, New Mein Schiff 2 can accommodate 2,894 passengers and 1,092 crew onboard.“The commissioning of our new Mein Schiff 2 marks the successful end of our first expansion phase. Our sixth newbuild by Meyer Turku not only impresses with its design, its inner values are equally convincing: With the use of modern technologies we are setting standards for environmental protection,” Wybcke Meier, TUI Cruises CEO commented.With New Mein Schiff 2, Meyer Turku and TUI Cruises have further improved and refreshed the design of the ship.“For us it has been a thrill working with TUI Cruises on the design and construction of this ship. We have redesigned many of the areas of the ship, e.g. the Schau Bar and the restaurant area in front of the aft diamond structure,” Jan Meyer, CEO of Meyer Turku, said.The New Mein Schiff 2, which flies the flag of Malta, will be christened in Lisbon on February 9, 2019. The ship will be baptized during its maiden voyage between Bremerhaven and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, with calls in La Coruña, Leixões, Lisbon, Cadiz and Arrecife.Take a closer look at the New Mein Schiff 2 in the video below:Due to the commissioning of the new ship, the previous Mein Schiff 2 was renamed Mein Schiff Herz this January. From February to March, the 77,302-ton vessel will undergo a dry dock overhaul in Marseille, France, TUI Cruises said.The 1997-built cruise ship will continue to be part of the TUI Cruises’ fleet until April 2022 when it will be handed over to the TUI’s UK’s subsidiary Marella Cruises.Image Courtesy: Meyer Turku; Video Courtesy: Unimedien
APTN National NewsThe family of an Indigenous woman that died in Toronto under suspicious circumstances is suing Toronto police for $14 million alleging the force was negligent in the events leading up to her death in April 2013 and during the subsequent police investigation that labeled it a suicide.Cheyenne Fox’s family alleges Toronto police didn’t properly respond to two 911 calls prior to Fox’s death April 25, 2013 when she fell to her death from a 24th floor balcony of a Toronto condo according to a statement of claim filed in Peterborough court Friday and obtained by APTN National News.None of the allegations have been proven in court and all defendants, including Toronto police, are expected to be served Monday.Fox died at about 11 p.m. that night, but the first 911 call came in at approximately 6 p.m. from someone who witnessed Fox jump from a moving taxicab on Highway 401.It’s alleged she lept from the “still moving” cab because the driver was sexually assaulting her.Two people stopped and picked her up on the side of the highway.The document states they drove Fox to her destination at 80 Harrison Garden Blvd. to meet an alleged “custumer” as she was working as a sex worker, potentially forced into it by a human trafficking ring.The second 911 call came about two hours later at 8 p.m. from someone inside condo unit 2419 at 80 Harrison Garden Blvd., the document alleges.The claim alleges someone from the unit called police upon Fox’s arrival claiming she was intoxicated, trespassing and refusing to leave the place.“No response from the Toronto Police Service Board ever came in respect of the two 911 calls that were made by third parties in relation to Cheyenne and the serious danger or harm that she was reported to be in,” alleges the statement of claim.It’s then alleged she tried to “escape” the home, but someone “physically forced Cheyenne to remain at his property.”The pair started drinking, according to the document.A third call to 911 was placed at 11 p.m. due to an alleged fight between Fox and the occupant.The caller said Fox had jumped over the balcony.Police arrived minutes later to “collect the badly beaten and lifeless body of Cheyenne.”Fox’s family say Toronto police also failed to provide “adequate or effective” reports or effectively communicate with the family after the death.The family alleges police failed, as well, in considering Fox “was murdered.”Last fall, the family said police told them the case was closed and Fox’s death was determined to be suicide.“(Police) blamed Cheyenne for her death attributing ‘risky’ behavior and a ‘high risk lifestyle’ instead of engaging an adequate or effective policing strategy to protect vulnerable women,” the document alleges.Fox’s father John Fox is scheduled to hold a press conference Monday at 2 p.m. in front of police headquarters in downtown Toronto.Attempts to reach Toronto police Saturday were unsuccessful.Kjackson@aptn.ca
Germany’s WDR Media Group, an affiliate of public broadcaster ARD, is looking to revive plans to launch a VoD platform, after regulators blocked its joint Germany’s Gold initiative last year.In WDR’s recently published annual report, WDR’s managing director Michael Loeb said that “the idea of a separate VoD platform with top quality content is not off the table” after German regulator the Federal Cartel Office’s “negative decision” as regards Germany’s Gold.Speaking to German media journal Funkkorrespondenz last week, Loeb said talks were underway with “several potential partners from channels as well as from producer groups and publishers,” with more information due to follow later this year.German public broadcasters ARD and ZDF shelved plans to launch a joint online video-on-demand service called Germany’s Gold last September, following objections by the Federal Cartel Office.In a statement at the time, WDR Mediagroup, the commercial arm of German public broadcasting institution WDR and another partner in the project, said that the Cartel Office – which has been examining the venture since November 2011 – blocked the project in its originally planned form. It claimed that alternative models would not be economically positive and that the project would not be continued.