SP suspects ‘internal sabotage’ played a key role in poll debacle

first_imgThe Samajwadi Party suspects that ‘internal sabotage’ may have played a part in its poor performance in the 2017 Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections. Though the party did not categorically name any leader, it has given subtle hints that Shivpal Yadav, the estranged uncle of former Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, is the suspect. The two were part of a bitter family feud in the months leading to and during the polls. As part of its performance review exercise, the party has claimed that some of its leaders and workers gave tacit support to the BJP. The party is trying to identity such people and has promised to act sternly against them.On Monday, SP president Akhilesh Yadav held a review meeting with top leaders and candidates from the Yadav stronghold areas — Farukhabad, Etawah, Auraiya, Mainpuri, Firozabad, Kannauj, Etah and Kasganj. The SP suffered huge losses in its stronghold this time. Mr. Shivpal Yadav has so far stayed away from the party meetings called by Mr. Akhilesh. “It has come to light that some people acted against the declared SP candidate, directly or indirectly, and gave support to the BJP,” SP spokesperson Rajendra Chaudhary said.Days after the election results were declared last month, the SP started a drive to identify those who damaged the party from within. SP State president Naresh Uttam Patel assigned party general secretaries, and district and city presidents the task of identifying the “leaders, office-bearers and workers” who worked against the SP’s candidates. In a letter to party office-bearers, Mr. Patel said the SP state office and Akhilesh Yadav himself received information that leaders and workers were working against the party in “some areas.”Mr. Patel had given the SP city and district presidents and general secretaries till March 31 to submit a list of people who worked against the party. They were asked to do it in a sealed envelope to maintain secrecy.“They need to be identified and action taken against them so that the party organisation does not become weak,” Mr. Patel wrote in his letter. The SP has convened a meeting of its district and city presidents, and state executive office-bearers on April 6. Mr. Akhilesh Yadav will address it. Bid to strengthen partyThe party is also working to stitch together a programme to “strengthen” and “activate” the party organisation, youth organisation and other frontal organisations, district and city units, said Mr. Chaudhary.last_img read more

Injury scare for Tendulkar, hit at helmet

first_imgThe Indian cricket team suffered an injury scare as Sachin Tendulkar escaped unhurt after he was hit on the helmet by a rising delivery from fast bowler Umesh Yadav during pre-series training at coach Gary Kirsten’s academy in Cape Town.A delivery from the uncapped right-arm paceman caught Tendulkar by surprise as it hit the left side of his helmet as he ducked, expecting the ball to rear up higher and pass overhead during the morning training session at Claremont Cricket Club last evening.Tendulkar, who was among the second batch of players who reached here, took the very audible whack with great calmness, even as colleagues in both his and the other nets swiftly turned heads out of concern for his well-being.The 37-year-old veteran of 174 Tests simply stooped a little, removed the helmet and inspected it, while Yadav rushed in but heaved a sigh of relief after laying his hands on Tendulkar’s head which apparently did not have any signs of taking the blow.Tendulkar then carried on serenely as if nothing had happened and shortly afterwards S Sreesanth sent him a shortish ball that barely climbed knee height, which caused some amusement.He was batting on a strip which was with some up-and-down sort of bounce apparently prepared by Kirsten as part of preparations for the three-match Tests series against South Africa starting at Centurion on December 16.”You can’t control these sorts of situations in a net environment. It even happens in India; guys get hit on the glove and so on. You just have to hope nothing too serious occurs,” said Kirsten afterwards of Tendulkar’s minor scare.advertisement”Interestingly enough the one net here is pretty flat and low and the other is going around a bit. The guys wanted to use the one that was more (spicy). I’m pretty excited about that; we’ll use the one that?s going around a bit again tomorrow,” he said.Kirsten wanted to simulate the South African pitch conditions as best as possible as India are not having any warm-up game before the Test series.The Indian squad will reach Centurion on Monday.last_img read more

(REOPENS MDS12)

first_imgReacting to the development, CPI(M) General Secretary Sitaram Yechury said that the party did not view the resignation as a setback.”Taking corrective measures is not a setback at all. We are a party of principles and values. The state secretariat has taken a decision and it is good. Correcting mistakes is never a setback. That shows the maturity and different character (of the party)”, he said. “In this case there was a mistake, we corrected it unlike the previous UDF government”, Yechury said.Asked if CPI-M would act against Jayarajan and Sreemathi, he said as they are central committee members, any decision on them will be taken by the party central leadership. Politburo member S R Pillai said to err is human and there can be mistakes.CPI, the second largest partner in LDF, which had hit out against Jayarajan, stating that nepotism was equivalent to corruption, welcomed the resignation.Former Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said Jayarajan had no other option but to resign.Opposition leader Ramesh Chennithala said the row would not end with Jayarajans resignation. A comprehensive probe was needed and the Chief Ministers office also should be brought under the ambit of investigation. Describing the resignation as a natural action, KPCC President V M Sudheeran said Jayarajan had to face nepotism and corruption charges and he was forced to resign just a few months after the LDF government came to power.BJP leader V Muraleedharan said the Pinarayi Vijayan government had to succumb to pressure due to the feelings of the people towards corruption.advertisement”The problems will not end with this resignation. There is a complaint before Vigilance court and a case should be registered against Jayarajan,” he said.Meanwhile, Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau informed a Special Court here today that a preliminary probe into the appointment row against Jayarjan had been initiated.Jayarajan, who also handled the Sports portfolio, had kicked up controversy when he removed internationally renowned athlete Anju Bobby George as President of Kerala State Sports Council, alleging nepotism by her in appointments in the Body.He had also been trolled in the social media after he described boxer Mohammed Ali as a sports person from Kerala who had brought laurels to the state by winning many medals.He made the comment when his reaction was sought after Alis death.The assembly is scheduled to meet again from November 18 after the pooja holidays and the resignation of Jayarajan is expected to blunt the Opposition attack to a certain extent.The UDF Opposition had disrupted and boycotted most of the sittings which began on September 26 on the self financing private medical college fees hike issue. PTI UD JRK APR SMJlast_img read more

Ottawa funding program to help reduce homelessness in 38 communities

first_imgEDMONTON – The federal government is putting more money into a program first tested in eight communities to help reduce homelessness.Edmonton Liberal MP Randy Boissonnault on Friday announced $885,000 to expand a pilot project by the Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness.“Everyone deserves a safe place to call home. Even one person on the streets in Canada is too many, “Boissonnault said in a release. “Projects like this one … support communities in our mutual goal to reduce chronic homelessness.”The money is to help develop lists of homeless people, including their names and circumstances, and to streamline access to housing and support services.It’s part of a campaign by the Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness, which aims to get 20,000 of the country’s most vulnerable people off the street in 20 communities by July 2020.Tim Richter, president of the Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness, said the “by-name” list allows agencies to track the number of people “coming to homelessness or returning to homelessness.”The project was initially tested in eight communities: Toronto, the Peel Region, Lanark County, Hamilton, Windsor and Waterloo Region in Ontario; Edmonton and Whitehorse, Yukon.The new federal money expands the pilot project to an additional 30 communities.Edmonton officials say the project has helped to prioritize their work.“To solve a problem, you really need to understand it,” said Susan McGee, chief executive officer of Homeward Trust, a community-based organization in the city.“It’s very much focused on who is homeless in your community.”McGee said identifying those people by name helps to understand their housing needs and other services they need.“The whole objective here is about creating urgency and giving communities the tools they need to bend the curve on chronic homelessness,” Richter added.The federal government, as part of its national housing strategy, has announced a total investment of $2.2 billion to fight homelessness over 10 years.last_img read more