Next Former Proteas cricketer Gulam Bodi sentenced to 5 years in prison for spot-fixingGulam Bodi is the first South Africa sportsman to be imprisoned under the under the Prevention and Combating of Corrupt Activities Act of 2004.advertisement India Today Web Desk New DelhiOctober 18, 2019UPDATED: October 18, 2019 18:00 IST Gulam Bodi was involved in South Africa’s 2015 domestic spot-fixing scandal. (Getty Images)HIGHLIGHTSGulam Bodi has been sentenced to 5 years imprisonmentBodi was involved in the 2015 domestic spot-fixing scandalThe cricketer earlier pleaded guilty to eight counts of corruptionFormer South Africa cricketer Gulam Bodi has been sentenced to 5 years in prison for his involvement in South Africa’s landmark 2015 domestic spot-fixing scandal.Bodi is the first South Africa sportsman to be imprisoned under the under the Prevention and Combating of Corrupt Activities Act of 2004 that came into effect after the Hansie Cronje match-fixing scandal.Bodi, who has played 2 ODIs and a solitary T20 match for South Africa, is appealing the case. The crickter earlier pleaded guilty to eight counts of corruption before his sentencing was delayed due to a reported lack of legal funds from his side.Good day for cricket!!!Gulam Bodi just been sentenced to 5 years in prison.He will apply for leave to Appeal and to extend bail his bail, pending the outcome of the appeal.Alviro Petersen (@AlviroPetersen) October 18, 2019Bodi was banned by Cricket South Africa for 20 years for influence aspects of the 2015 RamSlam T20 domestic tournament. After retiring from the game and as a commentator, Bodi began to offer domestic players and former team-mates money for certain actions or results during the RamSlam T20 domestic tournament.The crickter handed himself over to police in July last year and pleaded guilty on November 4, 2018.Alviro Petersen, one of the players who Bodi is said to have approached, was present at the sentencing hearing on Friday. Petersen put out a tweet after Bodi was sentenced, saying, it was a good day for cricket.For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAnita Jat
He also said that the Ministry of Buddhashasana and Religious affairs has sought the intervention of the External Affairs Ministry to urge foreign governments to ban the video. Meanwhile a Pakistani cabinet minister offered a $100,000 reward on Saturday for the death of the person behind the anti-Islam video made in the United States that has roiled Muslims around the world, even suggesting that Taliban and Al Qaeda militants could carry out the killing.Ghulam Ahmad Bilour, the federal railways minister, said at a news conference in the northwestern city of Peshawar that he would personally finance a bounty aimed at the maker of a crude, low-budget video that denigrates the Prophet Muhammad.Mr. Bilour acknowledged that incitement to murder was illegal, but said he was “ready to be hanged in the name of the Prophet Muhammad.” And he invited the Taliban and Al Qaeda to be “partners in this noble deed,” according to news reports. Report by Easwaran Rutnam Hundreds of Muslims took to streets in Colombo on Friday following afternoon prayers and protested against the movie produced by a group in the United States.The video “Innocence of Muslims” had already triggered protests in several countries including Sri Lanka last week even after the U.S. government denounced the video. “We will be publishing an advertisement against this video and we will request local media not to show this video. It is a kind of ban on the video in Sri Lanka,” the Deputy Minister said. Sri Lanka is to ban a controversial anti-Islam video from being aired in the country, the Ministry of Buddhashasana and Religious affairs said today.Deputy Minister M.K.D.S Gunawardena told the Colombo Gazette that a newspaper advertisement will be published this week in the local media saying the video should not be aired in the country.