The United Methodist University (UMU) on Wednesday officially announced the commencement of a graduate program in theological studies beginning second semester 2014/2015.The commencement of the program is a precedent set by the university, “because many other graduate programs are in the pipeline to be introduced, the dean of the graduate program, Rev. Dr. Yatta Roslyn Young, disclosed. She further indicated that the United Methodist Church (UMC) has been long in the vanguard of providing theological education in Liberia. The program started several decades ago by the UMC-run Gbarnga School of Theology (now College of Theology). The college was established in 1959 to train indigenous ministers of the Gospel to take over the leadership of the church from Western missionaries. Since then, Rev. Young said, the college has been offering diplomas and undergraduate degrees in general theology, with hundreds of graduates desiring to pursue post graduate studies in theology.“We thank God for endowing our leaders with the vision and giving them the inner tenacity to expand our learning space by adding yet another facility of learning to the academic programs presently being offered at the UMU,” Rev. Dr. Young asserted.She said that the program is the culmination of the concerted efforts of UMU and its Board of Trustees.“Though it was a tough road to travel, I’m happy and honored to inform the general public that the UMU has been granted a permanent permit by authorities of the National Commission on Higher Education (NCHE) to offer the Master of Divinity degree (M.Div),” Dr. Young averred.According to her, as a university, they are convinced that considering their enviable record and experience over the years, no other time is appropriate than now to proceed with the graduate program in theology. By that, she assured prospective students that UMU is fully prepared and equipped with the requisite staff and facilities to offer the program. “This is because we are committed to being nothing less than what we have always been,” she declared.In brief remarks, Rev. Dr. John G. Innis, UMC Resident Bishop of Liberia and Chairman of the UMU Board of Trustees, said the Methodist Church has played a major role in the educational sector of this country since the 1830s. This began with the College of West Africa (CWA) in 1839. Bishop Innis said the inclusion of other academic programs at the university is paramount to the country, because education is paramount to the mission of the Methodists, which calls for the church to make disciples for Jesus Christ.According to him, the university’s administration and Board of Trustees have been working assiduously to ensure that the graduate program commences according to schedule.The church, he said, takes pride in giving quality education to Liberians as well as developing minds through study and discipline.“The UMC wants to liberate Liberians from spiritual darkness to light,” Bishop Innis declared.The purpose of education is not only to intellectualize, but also to share with others what the teachers acquired over the years, he said. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Eight professional (foreign-based) players have arrived in Monrovia for the crucial 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Tunisia on September 5, at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium.Up to press time yesterday, the eight players, including Zah Krangar of Felda United FC in the Malaysian Premier League, Herron Berrian of Platanias in Greece, Anthony Laffor of Mamelodi Sundowns, South Africa and Sporo Somah who plies his trade with Sewe Sports in Ivory Coast.Others include Gizzie Dorbor (Hapoel Afula, Israel), Sekou Oliseh Jabateh of Al Ghasara of Qatar, Teah Dennis of Al-Ahli, Jordan and the unattached Adolphus Marshall from Indonesia.Further reports indicate that a good number of the foreign based players, including Francis Grandpa Doe of NS Matrix, Malaysia and William Jebor (SD Ponferradina, Spain) and Sam Johnson (Djurgårdens IF, Sweden) are expected in the country yesterday.The match is the second of the qualifier for the Lone Star after going down to the Sparrow Hawks of Togo 2-1 in the first encounter last June.Players who have arrived are part of 26 players called by national team coach James Debbah against Tunisia on Saturday.Below is the full list 26 players.1) Francis Grandpa Doe (NS Matrix, Malaysia)2) Gizzie Dorbor (Hapoel Afula, Israel)3) William Jebor (SD Ponferradina, Spain)4) Anthony Laffor (Mamelodi, Sundowns South Africa)5) Sekou Jabateh Oliseh (Al Ghasara of Qatar)6) James Soto Roberts (LPRC Oilers)7) Adolphus Nagbe Marshall (Unattached)8) Sekou Konneh (Fortuna Sittard, Holland)9) Omega Roberts (Osmanlıspor, Turkey)10) Teah Dennis (Al-Ahli, Jordan)11) Dirkir Glay (Gor Mahia, Kenya)12) Patrick Gerhardt (Sarawak FA, Malaysia)13) Sam Johnson (Djurgårdens IF, Sweden)14) Zah Krangar (Felda United FC, Malaysia)15) Solomon Grimes (Nea Salamis Famagusta, Cyprus)16) Herron Berrian (Platanias, Greece)17) Sporo Somah (Sewe Sports, Ivory Coast)18) Mark Paye (BYC)19) Nathaniel Sherman (BYC)20) Murphy Oscar Dorley (Ghana)21) Raymond Franciah (Ghana)22) Trokon Zeon (Local, LISCR FC)23) Sampsn Giddings (FC Fassell)24) Aloysious Symugla (FC Fassell)25) Tommy Songo (LISCR FC)26) Saylee Swen (LPRC Oilers).Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Auditor General 2016 report…Accountant General advises check into employment statusHundreds of thousands of dollars in salaries over paid to staff of the Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) Administration were flagged by the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) on Monday. The meeting revealed that since the Auditor General cited the issue in his 2016 report, not much has changed.Region Six REOKim Williams-StephensIn the Auditor General’s 2016 report, overpayment of salaries was flagged as a prior year issue that was partially implemented. Regional Executive Officer (REO) for Region Six, Kim Williams-Stephens appeared before the PAC and related that the overpayments amounted to $345,000.“These overpayments were in relation to deduction agencies,” she explained. “They were written to with a view of recovering the overpayments. To date, we were not able to recover any of the outstanding amounts from these agencies.”“With regard to the deducting agencies, we would have written them in 2017, because we have a system in place where we write them and in 2017 we were able to recover amounts from the deducting agencies. However, with regards to 2016 the deducting agencies are asking for additional information to be resubmitted. We are periodically following up.”Asked about the last time the region followed up the matter with the former employees, Williams-Stephens deferred to the Chief Accountant who informed the committee that follow up information was submitted. They noted that while a part of the net salary was recovered, the net balance remained outstanding.Accountant General Jennifer Chapman enquired into whether these persons are employed at other agencies and whether steps were taken to verify this. Upon the REO responding in the negative, she advised that a letter be written to the Accountant General requesting this verification.In the Auditor General’s 2015 report, it was recorded that “Fourteen and seventeen employees were overpaid net salaries for the years 2012 and 2014, respectively with the related deductions also being overpaid to the various agencies. Although the regional administration made some progress with recovery of these overpayments, this situation recurred in 2015 with nine employees being overpaid. However, to date there has been no progress with the recovery of the deductions paid over to the various agencies.”It was also reported that “Unpaid net salaries totalling $9.838 million were refunded to the Consolidated Fund for the years 2012 to 2014. However, the related deductions totalling $2.075 million paid to various agencies were still not recovered. Similarly, for 2015, amounts totalling $1.471 million were refunded to the Consolidated Fund as unpaid salaries for thirty-six.” Employees and the related deductions of $308,946 paid to the various agencies were also not recovered.”
With some 25,000 applications still piled up at the Central Housing and Planning Authority (CH&PA) office, the agency’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Lelon Saul had said at least 5000 solutions are required annually for the next five years to reduce the backlog.While this may be the case, the CEO told the media that just about 3000 housing solutions were made over the past two years, in the form of houses and house lots.Saul was at the time speaking to the media at the sidelines of an event on Friday.According to him, the agency plans to develop a number of areas soon to tackle the backlog; however, undertaking the project to develop the lands will be costly.“We have in excess of 25,000 active applications in the system. We are currently working to reduce the backlog. We will be developing several areas over the next two years or so but this would not significantly reduce the numbers. For us to make a significant impact on that number, we need to make available an average of four to 5000 solutions yearly over the next five years,” the CEO explained.He pointed out that its costs at least $4 million to have one house lot developed, which would require a vast sum being allotted for this purpose only.Given that the number of applications would have mounted to the huge figure, Saul explained that while it will be important to distribute house lots based on the date of the application, consideration will also be given to those in “dire need”.Under the previous Administration, over 100,000 house lots were distributed and over 200 core houses were made available to under-privileged families, while a programme for professional groups provided 200 teachers, nurses and Policemen with fast track access to loans for home construction.Under the present Administration, the first Adequate Housing and Urban Accessibility Programme was launched in January this year.The project was a collaboration between the Central Housing and Planning Authority (CH&PA) and the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB).The first housing project comprises of a four hundred square-foot flat concrete building at a cost of $4 million, but requires approved applicants to make a down payment of $100,000 towards the construction. Meanwhile, the Home Improving Subsidy provides a grant of $500,000 in materials.The project will be in four districts; areas in Georgetown; Industry to La Bonne Intention on the East Coast Demerara, Eccles to Diamond/Grove on the East Bank Demerara and La Parfaite Harmonie in Region Three (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara).
“I had to redeem myself,” Guo said. “Missing the breakaway was a fifty-fifty ball, but missing the PK (in the 28th minute) would have bothered me for a long time if we lost this game.” Apaches coach Jason Franz had no problem letting Guo take the 20-yard free kick. “I knew he wanted it,” Franz said. “He wanted to make up for the PK, and that shot was one of the best goals I’ve seen all season.” Overtime is nothing new to the Apaches, who won three overtime games in last year’s playoffs to reach the championship. “It’s fun for everybody watching, but it’s a tough way to win a game,” Franz said. “Fortunately, we have a couple days of rest before our next game.” ARCADIA – Arcadia High School’s Eric Guo was too tired to celebrate and too relieved to gloat. After missing a first-half breakaway and penalty kick, the junior made up for it in the 112th minute and fourth overtime with a “golden goal” to give the Apaches a 1-0 victory over visiting Lompoc Cabrillo in Wednesday’s CIF-Southern Section Division III wild-card game. The Apaches (13-7-5) advanced to Saturday’s first-round game against La Habra (23-5-1), and they will need to do a better job of finishing if they want to keep advancing in postseason. Not only did the Apaches miss a penalty kick, but they also missed several easy looks in the first 20 minutes. They out-shot the visiting Conquistadores, 27-5, before finally scoring just eight minutes before the match would have gone into a penalty shootout. “All season finishing has been a problem for us,” Franz said. “We only start three seniors, and the six guys from the midfield forward are all juniors and sophomores. “That calmness before you’re about to touch the ball and put it away isn’t quite there yet, but it will come, and wins like this sometimes help settle you down.” email@example.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 4485 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Guo’s sudden-death game- winner came on a free kick at the top of the penalty area that he buried in the upper corner of the net with so much space that Conquistadores goalkeeper Richie Moreno never moved. After scoring, Guo simply raised his right arm and dropped his head as teammates mobbed him.
Check out Ryan Ledson’s effort against Poland…
0Shares0000Arda Turan was the centre of attention when he returned to Turkey in January to play for Basaksehir © AFP/File / OZAN KOSEISTANBUL, Turkey, Oct 15 – Turkish prosecutors on Monday charged Barcelona player Arda Turan over a brawl with a prominent singer, asking for the footballer to be sentenced to twelve-and-a-half years in jail.The prosecutors charged Turan, who is currently on loan to Istanbul’s Basaksehir, with sexual harassment, unlicensed possession of weapons and causing intentional injury over the fight with singer Berkay Sahin, the state-run Anadolu news agency said. Sahin, who goes on stage by his first name Berkay, was also charged, with prosecutors demanding up to two years in jail.Turan, 31, had last week been summoned to an Istanbul police station to give a statement about the incident but was allowed to walk free.The incident, which took place outside an Istanbul nightclub and reportedly left Sahin with a broken nose, has transfixed Turkey over the last days.In a bizarre sequence of events, Turan then reportedly went to the hospital where the singer was being treated clutching a gun and begging to be shot and forgiven.The attacking midfielder, who won 100 caps for the national side, has for years been Turkey’s best known footballer and is a strong supporter of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.He backed Erdogan strongly after the failed July 2016 coup, appearing at rallies outside his home, and the Turkish president even came as a witness to Turan’s marriage.Turan is notorious for poor behaviour both on and off the field.He was banned for a record 16 games by the Turkish football authorities in May after he shoved and verbally abused a referee in a game for Basaksehir.Turan joined Basaksehir last season on loan from Barcelona, where he had largely endured an unhappy spell on the bench after joining from Atletico Madrid.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
“The game was tough as each team was dedicated to clinching the title. We are glad because our struggles have borne us fruits. We have been training hard for this tournament and we hope to be the national champs”, Bishop Njenga’s Wikonza said after the tie.In the boys’ final attended by a capacity crowd at the Bukhungu Stadium, Lugari Blue Saints came from a goal down to beat The Saints from Buture-Mumias 2-1 in an entertaining grand finale that drew the curtains on the two-day championship.After a goalless first half, The Saints opened the scoring through impressive skipper Atem Kato, but Ligari folded their sleeves and came back with vigor, hitting back through Watson Anami and Reagan Mumela.Lugari Blue Saints Denis Atsenga (L) sprints with the ball past The Saints PlayerRodgers Ouma during the Safaricom Chapa Dimba Western region Finals atBukhungu Stadium, Kakamega. Blue“Our dream of becoming the national champs has started well. We are glad that we have made it through to National Finals already. I hope some of my players will also be named in the all–star team that will go to Spain for training. This has been a good journey for us as a team,” Lugari Blue Saints tactician Omnala said.The winners received a cash reward of Sh200,000 each and will now represent Western region in the national finals scheduled for June 2019 at Kinoru Stadium, Meru County.At the grand finale, the winning boys’ and girls’ teams will each walk away with Sh1mn in prize money.An All-star team will also be selected from the 8 regional finals to attend a training camp in Spain during which they will play against local youth sides.The competition now moves to Moi Stadium in Kisumu for the Nyanza regional finals set for 9th and 10th February.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Bishop Njenga Girls player Brenda Akinyi (17) sprints with the ball past Ibinzo GirlsPlayer Ann Malubi during the Safaricom Chapa Dimba Western region Finals atBukhungu Stadium, Kakamega.KAKAMEGA, Kenya, Jan 13 – Blue Saints and Bishop Njenga Girls, both from Lugari were crowned champions of the Western Region Chapa Dimba na Safaricom finals on Sunday after both overcame tough opposition in pulsating finals.Bishop Njenga triumphed after seeing off Kakamega’s Ibinzo Girls 2-0 courtesy of second half goals from Sheila Wikonza and Maureen Omende.
Ezequiel Lavezzi 1 Argentina forward Ezequiel Lavezzi is the latest player to join the football revolution in China, turning down a Chelsea move to sign a big-money deal with Chinese Super League club Hebei China Fortune.The 30-year-old has moved for an undisclosed fee and pens a reported £400,000-a-week contract to make him the highest paid player in football history.Lavezzi was linked with a move to Premier League side Chelsea with his contract at Paris Saint-Germain due to expire in the summer.He turned down an extension with the French champions but favoured a stay in Europe, and was said to be in contact with the Blues and Inter Milan over a possible move.However the lure of a lucrative switch to China proved too hard to resist.The contract will be for two years and will see the Argentina international earn around £22million during his stay in the Far East.Lavezzi is the latest big name to head to China after Chelsea midfielder Ramires joined Jiangsu Suning and Atletico Madrid striker Jackson Martinez moved to Guangzhou Evergrande.He also joins former Arsenal striker Gervinho at Hebei China Fortune, who arrived from Italian side Roma this month.
For almost 30 years he has been one of the reassuring voices of Malin Head Coast Guard.Ian and his well-deserved cake!And last week well-known radio officer Ian Scott turned off his microphone after 29 years of dedicated service.Ian’s voice will be known to every mariner around the coast and his actions as a search mission coordinator have saved many lives in his years of service. All his colleagues at MRSC Malin Head and the Irish Coast Guard wished Ian a very happy retirement.We would like to join them in wishing Ian the best of luck in his happy and long retirement.OVER AND OUT FOR MALIN HEAD RADIO CONTROLLER IAN AFTER ALMOST 30 YEARS was last modified: August 5th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalIan ScottMalin Head Coast Guard