By Brad HaireUniversity of GeorgiaIt was about as good as it could get last year. But this year, everything that could have gone wrong did. Georgia’s 2002 peanut crop will be about average, but a far cry worse than last year’s near-record crop.After battling late-season storms that kept them out of their fields, Georgia peanut farmers are finally at the end of harvest, almost a month behind schedule, said John Beasley, a University of Georgia peanut agronomist.Opposites”Last year, we had near-perfect conditions,” he said. “But this year and last year are two opposites.”Georgia’s 2002 peanut crop is estimated to be 1.35 million pounds, about 21 percent less than last year’s crop, which was the second-best peanut production year in Georgia’s history. Yields are expected to be around 2,600 pounds per acre, about 730 pounds less than last year, according to the Georgia Agricultural Statistics Service.Georgia usually averages around 2,700 pounds per acre each year.The Bad GuysEither together or separately, all of the top peanut villains showed up this year. Drought, disease and insects loomed over the crop, hurting potential yields. Then ironically, after a dry growing season, excessive rains kept farmers from harvesting what was left of their crop.”Around mid-October, we’re usually winding down harvest in Georgia,” Beasley said. A few farmers are still trying to finish their harvests.Diggin’ & Pickin’The peanut harvest takes place in two phases: First, the peanuts, which grow underground, are dug up to the surface. The peanuts then lie exposed on the surface for a few days to dry. Then, a peanut combine runs over the exposed dry peanuts, picking them from the vines.The rain kept farmers from digging peanuts and picking the peanuts that were dug in many cases, Beasley said. This hurt the quality of those peanuts.Hurts EverywhereThe total U.S. peanut production this year is estimated to be around 3.51 billion pounds, down 18 percent from the 2001 total. U.S. yields are expected to average 2,579 pounds, down 450 pounds from 2001. Wet field conditions delayed harvest throughout the three U.S. peanut-producing regions.Drought during the growing season hurt other peanut-growing states, too, particularly Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Alabama. Disease and insects also damaged crops. Nine U.S. states grow peanuts.Georgia produces about 40 percent of the total U.S. production. About 75 percent of Georgia’s peanuts are used to make peanut butter. U.S. peanut butter consumption jumped 17 percent in 2001.Despite the bad growing season, U.S. domestic peanut supplies will hold steady. Carry-over supplies from last year are good. And industry officials say U.S. peanuts will have a hard time breaking into the export markets this year due to the new way peanuts are priced under the new farm bill. They say it prices U.S. peanuts out of the world markets.
Three University of Georgia students earned $5,000 to bring their sweet business plan to fruition thanks to the UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences’ FABricate entrepreneurship challenge. VTasteCakes, a company founded by food industry marketing and administration seniors Jasmyn Reddicks and Tatyana Clark and agricultural communication senior Ayodele Dare won first place in FABricate’s final pitch contest on March 29. All are students in the college.“This an impressive group of young entrepreneurs,” CAES Dean and Director Sam Pardue told the FABricate spectators. “We are certainly grateful for their ideas. We want to foster creativity and one of the ways we do that is through programs like FABricate.” Part of the college’s Food and Agribusiness Entrepreneurial Initiative, the FABricate competition provides students with a platform to expand their business and leadership skills. In the competition, students produce and market new products or services in the agriculture, business, technology or food production sectors. The final presentations were given in the style of “Shark Tank,” the reality TV show in which entrepreneurs pitch their businesses to investors.This year’s judges included Keith Kelly, owner of Farmview Market in Madison, Georgia; Laura Katz, director of the UGA Small Business Development Center’s Athens, Georgia-area office; and Jim Flannery, an instructor in the UGA Terry College of Business Entrepreneurship Program. VTasteCakes’ understanding of the growing market for vegan foods, along with their delicious cupcake recipes, sealed the deal for this year’s FABricate judges. Reddicks, the group’s head baker, based her vegan cupcake recipe on one of her grandmother’s cupcake recipes, then tweaked it to increase the vegetable content. They caught the judges’ attention with their products’ rich taste and their health-conscious marketing strategy. They made each cupcake without eggs or dairy products and used vegetable pulp to maintain a moist texture and to add extra nutrients. The team plans to use their prize money to expand their product line and to launch a pop-up shop that will serve cupcakes around the Athens community and the UGA campus. The competition’s second-place winners, Kona Kola, took home $2,500 to launch their line of cold-pressed and cold-bottled sugarcane juice. John Tarleton, who is pursuing a master’s degree in business administration, teamed up with his sister and brother-in-law, CAES graduate students Alyssa and Lane Flanders, to develop their concept.They pitched the drink as a natural, fiber-rich alternative to sodas sweetened with refined sugar. The third-place team, Wished Trees, founded by CAES agribusiness graduate students Rance Paxton and Mary Kate Bagwell, aimed to connect people who want to plant trees with companies that want to offset their carbon footprints by sponsoring reforestation projects. The teams have been honing their concepts since fall. “Since October of last year, each team has spent hundreds of hours perfecting their business ideas,” said Hannah Rull, contest coordinator and former contestant.Teams worked with Four Athens, an Athens-based entrepreneurship resource center, and hosted think-tank seminars with local entrepreneurs to work through their ideas.The prize money for this year’s competition was contributed by Kelly and Farmview Market; Caroline Bakker Hofland, president and CEO of CBH International; and the Terry College Entrepreneurship Program. For more information about the FABricate program, visit students.caes.uga.edu/current/fabricate.html.
6SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading » Web application compromise, a major culprit in the Equifax incident, is the number one breach type in the finance industry this year and a growing trend, according Cambridge, Mass.-based BitSight.In a new report from the security ratings firm, researcher Ryan Heitsmith noted, “September marked a month of heated discussion concerning data privacy issues, with continuing coverage in the media regarding breaches at major, global institutions.”BitSight considered the types of breaches experienced by the finance sector over three years of data to determine whether web application compromise is on the rise as well as the impact of these events. In 2017, web application compromise overtook all other breach types, making up a significant 33% of events experienced by the finance sector. “These events result in greater information loss and reputational damage than other breach types observed by BitSight,” Heitsmith stated.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Reach, publisher of UK newspapers Daily Mirror and Daily Express, plans to axe about 550 jobs as the coronavirus forces readers online and slashes advertising revenues, it said Tuesday.”Structural change in the media sector has accelerated during the pandemic and this has resulted in increased adoption of our digital products,” Reach chief executive Jim Mullen said in a statement.”However, due to reduced advertising demand, we have not seen commensurate increases in digital revenue.” Reach said the company plans a reduction in headcount of about 550 staff, or 12 percent of its workforce — as it looks to make annual cost savings of £35 million ($43 million).The company, which owns also a number of UK regional newspapers, said the restructuring would cost the group £20 million.”Editorial will move to a more centralized structure bringing together national and regional teams across print and digital to significantly increase efficiency and remove duplication while maintaining the strong editorial identity of our news brands,” Reach said. The company will also have “fewer locations and a simpler management structure”, the statement said. Reach added that its revenue slumped 27.5 percent in the second quarter, “impacted by reductions in circulation and advertising”. Topics :
Earlier this month independent property analysis firm SQM Research predicted Melbourne and Sydney house prices this year to fall by three per cent and four per cent respectively. Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 7:28Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -7:28 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels576p576p480p480p256p256p228p228pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenPrestige property with Liz Tilley07:29 STORMY TIMES: The Aussie housing market could be in for a tough few years.ANOTHER big player is predicting a tough time ahead for the Aussie real estate market. It could be bad news for real estate investors if predictions from Westpac turn out to be true.In a weekly update released by the bank earlier this week, some grim predictions were made about house prices over the next 24 months. House prices, the update predicted, were expected to fall by as much as 10 per cent over the next two years “with weakness particularly centred on the Sydney and Melbourne markets”.The update added that this predicted drop could also hit the broader economy.“This will represent a considerable change in the “atmospherics” around housing wealth and may weigh further on prospects for consumer spending,” the statement read. BUILDERS’ DECISION TO GO OUT ON A LIMB PAYS OFF More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus18 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market18 hours agoThe Melbourne and Sydney markets have already dropped in 2018.Australia’s biggest city has experienced a rough couple of months, with large drops in housing values across a range of suburbs in the start of 2018.Research for Sydney’s Daily Telegraph earlier this month showed that the median Sydney house sale price had fallen by 5.2 per cent over the past year. MANSION COMES WITH UNDERGROUND CAR SHOWROOM
Connecticut-based bulk carrier owner and operator Eagle Bulk Shipping is continuing with its fleet restructuring program as it sold another Supramax vessel.The company said it recently signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) to dispose of Thrasher, the 53,400 dwt vessel built in 2010.The agreement was inked with Indonesia-based Meratus Line at the end of April 2019, VesselsValue’s data shows.The ship was sold for gross proceeds of USD 10 million, Eagle Bulk revealed.The transaction follows two Supramax sales in January this year when the company sold the 2001-built vessels Condor and Merlin for USD 12.8 million.Also in January, Eagle Bulk acquired Cape Town Eagle, an Ultramax bulker, for USD 20.4 million. The 2015-built ship has been delivered into the company’s fleet.The sale of Thrasher was unveiled in Eagle Bulk’s financial report for the first quarter of this year showing that the company delivered a net income of USD 29.5 million, a decrease of 44 percent compared to USD 52.7 million seen in the corresponding period a year earlier.During the first quarter of 2019, the company generated revenues of USD 77.4 million, representing a drop of 2 percent compared to the same three-month period in 2018. The decrease was primarily due to the decline in the dry bulk market.Time charter equivalent (TCE) revenue stood at USD 44 million in Q1 2019, lower by 14 percent year over year.“Notwithstanding weakness in freight markets during the first quarter, we were able to achieve our highest TCE outperformance to date. I am pleased to report that our first quarter TCE outperformance, relative to the adjusted benchmark Baltic Supramax Index equated to almost $2,400 per vessel per day, representing a beat of over 30%,” Gary Vogel, Eagle Bulk’s CEO, commented.“With respect to our fleet, preparations for IMO 2020 are well underway. To date we have fitted five vessels with scrubbers, with the majority of the installation time occurring at sea while ships continue to trade.” “We expect to have thirty-four scrubbers installed within 2019, and three additional units in 2020,” he concluded.
Herald Sun 26 June 2012Children as young as 10 are battling serious gambling problems, a major study has revealed. A concerning number of children are addicted to gambling, including betting on football games. Picture: Getty Images Source: Herald Sun And they have few difficulties side-stepping the law.The first national study of the gambling habits of Australia’s youth has found a tenth of kids aged 10-14 fit definitions of “at-risk” or “problem” gamblers.And a third have adults willing to place bets on their behalf.Anti-gambling campaigner the reverend Tim Costello said “every parent should be very concerned” by the report, released by the Australian Council for Educational Research.“Essentially the long arms of the gambling industry reach into our youth,” Mr Costello said.“It softens them up, even when they are children, because they always need a new generation (of addicts).”The study, based on surveys with 5600 Australians aged 10-24, found widespread experimentation with gambling.http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/junior-gamblers-battle-addiction/story-fn7x8me2-1226408348239
News Migrants end Greek hunger strike after government offer by: – March 9, 2011 Sharing is caring! Share Tweet Share 35 Views no discussions Nearly 300 migrant workers in Greece have ended a six-week hunger strike after the government offered a deal over residence permits.Details of the deal were not immediately available but it is believed the mainly North African protesters will get temporary permits.More than 100 protesters had been taken to hospital and some were being treated for acute kidney failure.Many of the hunger strikers had lived and worked in Greece for years.Source: BBC News Share
Loading… Tottenham midfielder, Tanguy Ndombele, remains the priority on the transfer market for Inter coach Antonio Conte. Conte had showdown talks with President Steven Zhang yesterday and they agreed to proceed together, along with directors Beppe Marotta and Piero Ausilio. The tactician visited the club HQ again today for more negotiations, this time to plan a transfer strategy. According to RMC Sport, Ndombele remains ‘the priority’ for Conte and his squad, with many conversations about the player held between these two clubs.Advertisement Promoted Content9 Heroes Of Popular Memes Then And NowCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Famous And Incredibly Unique Places In Thailand6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?Best & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs read also:Tottenham target Ndombele swap with Coutinho Spurs do not want to sell the 23-year-old, who joined a year ago from Olympique Lyonnais for €60m. He has played 29 competitive games for Spurs, with two goals and four assists. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享