Jailed Belgian priest and ex-editor is innocent and must be freed, says Reporters Without Borders

first_img Reporters Without Borders issued an in-depth report today on the detention in Rwanda for the past two months of former magazine editor Guy Theunis, a Belgian Catholic priest. It said he was innocent of charges of supposed genocide, that the evidence against him was “baseless” and that he was victim of a personal vendetta by a group of regime politicians. A Reporters Without Borders team visited Rwanda in early October to investigate. Help by sharing this information News Follow the news on Rwanda November 27, 2020 Find out more to go further Receive email alerts The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa RwandaAfrica Organisation Reports RSF_en center_img November 9, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Jailed Belgian priest and ex-editor is innocent and must be freed, says Reporters Without Borders Reports Related documents Download the complete reportPDF – 2.32 MB Covid-19 in Africa: RSF joins a coalition of civil society organizations to demand the release of imprisoned journalists on the continent Reporters Without Borders called today for the immediate release of a Belgian Catholic priest and former editor, Father Guy Theunis, from a prison in Rwanda where he is being held for supposed complicity in genocide.The worldwide press freedom organisation said in a report by a fact-finding mission it sent to Rwanda that Theunis was “innocent” and that the accusations against him had been “trumped up at the last minute” by “a handful of people driven by personal or political motives.” It said the evidence against Theunis, former editor of the magazine Dialogue who has been in Kigali’s central prison for since 6 September, presented “before, during and since” he appeared before a grassroots gacaca court on 11 September, was “baseless.” Theunis was victim of a “personal political vendetta by a group of regime figures” who used his brief recent stopover in Rwanda to punish him for his religious stands, his criticism of the ruling Rwanda Patriotic Front (FPR) for human rights violations or simply to settle personal scores.A Reporters Without Borders team visited the country from 30 September to 7 October to investigate the case and visited Theunis in prison and met several prosecution witnesses from his gacaca hearing, when he was declared a prime genocide suspect (a planner or inciter).Theunis, 60, is a member of the White Fathers Missionary Society (also known as the Missionaries of Africa) and lived in Rwanda from 1970 until 1994. His accusers say he incited ethnic hatred and denied the country’s genocide. His defenders say he is really in prison for exposing the RPR’s human rights violations. RwandaAfrica April 6, 2020 Find out more News BBC Africa’s “disproportionate and dangerous” dismissal of a journalist February 13, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Limerick families to remember their loved ones lost to suicide

first_imgPredictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival WhatsApp Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” TAGSAugustinian ChurchChristmas Celebration of Lightconsolelimericksuicide Facebook NewsLocal NewsLimerick families to remember their loved ones lost to suicideBy Alan Jacques – November 19, 2015 818 WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Linkedin Email RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHORcenter_img Twitter Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Advertisement Previous article€14 million rise in cost of hospital agency staffNext articleHow Small Art Works Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live LOVED ones lost through suicide in Limerick will be remembered at a service in the Augustinian Church on O’Connell Street on Sunday November 29 at 4pm.Families and friends who have been touched by suicide are invited to attend Console’s upcoming Christmas Celebration of Light in the city, which will include song, music, poetry and reflection. The event will also include the lighting of candles and a minute’s silence to remember those who are no longer with us.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The Celebration of Light is one of nine being held around the country by national suicide prevention and bereavement charity Console, to remember over 500 people who lost their lives to suicide in Ireland last year. Over 6,000 people expected to attend nationwide.Console chief executive Paul Kelly explained that the Christmas Celebration of Light provides a gentle and understanding environment for families and friends to remember their loved ones and celebrate their lives.“The loss of a loved one is always devastating, but when that loss is through suicide it can be so much harder for the families and friends left behind,” Mr Kelly pointed out.“This special service is one of the most important events in the Console calendar as it gives families and friends the opportunity to come together in solidarity to honour the lives of their loved ones,” said Paul, who founded the organisation after his sister Sharon took her own life at the age of 21.Console offers counselling services and 24-hour helpline support to people in crisis and those bereaved by suicide. The charity has a full-time centre in Raheen, where counselling is available for anyone affected by suicide.To sponsor a light in memory of a loved one, contact 061-306792 for details. Console can be reached at any time on freephone 1800 247 247 and further information can be found at www.console.ie Printlast_img read more

NBA free agency news: Grizzlies sign Joakim Noah for rest of season

first_imgThe Grizzlies have signed free-agent center Joakim Noah for the remainder of the season, the team announced Tuesday. Noah’s deal is worth $1.73 million as part of a prorated minimum deal for the rest of the season, ESPN reported earlier.  New York still owes Noah $38 million from the four-year deal he signed for $72 million in 2016. Related News Noah appeared in just 53 games over the previous two seasons with the Knicks. He played only seven games in 2017-18 while averaging 1.7 points and 2.0 rebounds.The 2007 No. 9 overall pick is a two-time All-Star and has averaged 8.9 points and 9.3 rebounds in his career. The 33-year-old was waived by the Knicks in October. Gary Harris injury update: Nuggets G (groin) to undergo MRI on Tuesdaylast_img

FL Emergency Management Chief: State Has ICU Beds, Ventilators

first_imgFlorida’s emergency management chief said Sunday the state would be able to meet the need for critical-care hospital space and ventilators.He added that the state has a dedicated team of people who are assigned to plan for how Florida should deal with the threat of a hurricane during the coronavirus pandemic.The Atlantic hurricane season begins June. 1“I have full confidence that we’ll be able to meet the ICU capacity,” state Emergency Management Director Jared Moskowitz said in an interview with Miami television station WPLG. “We feel that we’ll be able to meet the capacity as far as the beds, or the potential bed issue, or the potential issue with ventilators.”When he was asked about a projected peak need in early May of 2,500 beds and a current capacity of less than 1,700, Moskowitz said the state has already purchased and received 4,300 hospital beds to meet the need.Moskowitz also explained that field hospitals have been established in Broward and Miami-Dade counties; field hospitals are pre-positioned for Jacksonville and the Orlando area; there is capacity for a 400-bed hospital to be set up at the Miami Beach Convention Center; and work is being completed to reopen two closed facilities in Miami-Dade County.According to Moskowitz, the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Health and Human Services “have been fantastic” about responding to Florida’s requests for ventilators from the national supply, and the state has already received four shipments.There are currently more than 4,000 ventilators available in the state, and Emergency Management is working with places such as ambulatory surgery centers to relocate some of their equipment.“We are gathering up those resources, pre-positioning them, just like we would do in a hurricane” so they can be used in hospitals when needed.In terms of emergency managers planning for hurricane season during the coronavirus outbreak, “Even with this pandemic, I’m not planning for tomorrow or planning for next week. I’m planning for the month after that and the month after that,” Moskowitz emphasized said.To that end, a “planning cell” has been separated from operations at the state Emergency Operations Center in order to focus on hurricane planning. Among the questions it is considering are: How shelters will be operated? Will there be evacuations out of, or into, “hot zones,” depending on where a storm is headed? Will schools be used as shelters?“These are all the things that we’re developing plans and procedures around with COVID-19,” Moskowitz said. “We have to do that in the emergency management space.”last_img read more

SAN LUIS REY STAKES QUOTES

first_img-30- TRAINER QUOTES GARY STEVENS, ASHLEYLUVSSUGAR, WINNER: “I had confidence going in. He relaxed like a dream for me. I knew if he would relax, we’d have a good chance. I was loaded going into the turn, a horse came up to our outside, he got headed but he’s tough, he likes a fight.“He loves it, just loves it; he went pretty easy. I watched his last race, when Mike (Smith) was on him and he battled back then too. Those were different kinds of horses but he really came back for Mike when he went left-handed with the whip. I noticed he really responded for Mike last time and he did the same for me today. He made the lead and was looking for someone else to challenge him.”VICTOR ESPINOZA, FINNEGANS WAKE, SECOND: “I didn’t really think we had it, not today. He was a little bit flat today, all the way, as soon as he came out of the gate. He was a little lazy, not really running, he was empty all the way. I was surprised, he ran a good race still. I got next to the winner and was hoping I could get some company and cruise a little bit more but it’s one of those things. It was not his day.” JOCKEY QUOTES PETER EURTON, ASHLEYLUVSSUGAR, WINNER: “I just told Gary to keep him relaxed. He watched tapes on him and talked to Mike (Smith) about him. The question was just whether he’d just be too keen early, and Mike said, ‘Put ’em to sleep.’ It was just an amazing ride.”Future race? “We’ll wait now for the San Juan Capistrano (about 1 ¾ miles on turf June 28).”NOTES: The winning owners are Sharon Alesia of Carlsbad; Michael Mellen (Bran Jam Stable) of Connecticut; and Joe Ciaglia of Upland.last_img read more

Rail station for Durban’s 2010 stadium

first_imgAccording to Metrorail, millions of rands have already been spent on renovating ticket offices and public toilets, building new paraplegic toilets, painting all buildings, fencing, resurfacing platforms, installing new station signage and upgrading station lighting, and public address systems. Hattingh added that the number of officers working with the South African Police Service’s railway police unit would be increased from 350 to 700 by 2010. “The major improvements to existing stations and the construction of an ultra-modern station near the stadium will be a legacy we want to put in place for our commuters beyond 2010,” Dube said, adding that 20 refurbished 10M5 trains would also be ready for use by then. The first phase of an integrated communications system, costing R25-million, will be installed at five stations, Berea Road, Rossburgh, Reunion, Umlazi and Duffs Road and will include passenger communication equipment, electric notice boards and emergency panic buttons. According to Metrorail, there are also plans to build a shopping mall in the vicinity of the stadium. Public transport legacy Metrorail KwaZulu-Natal has set aside R140-million to build a new train station next to Durban’s Moses Mabhida Stadium, to make it more accessible for soccer fans ahead of the 2010 Fifa World Cup. 27 November 2008center_img He added that in an effort to avoid congestion, park and ride facilities would be provided at several stations, enabling soccer fans to park their cars at the stations and then catch a train to the stadium. Stations which have received a facelift are Thembalihle, Greenwood Park, Briadene, Dalbridge, Congella, Montclair, Lindokuhle and Umlazi, while refurbishment is in progress at Brea, Umngeni, Redhil, Umbilo, Merebank and Malvern. Metrorail KwaZulu-Natal regional manager Dumi Dube explained that the development formed part of the national transport strategy to ensure the safe and comfortable conveyance of fans during the tournament. “We expect the train station to be ready by September 2009, and it will also serve as a safe and convenient crossing point for pedestrians wishing to reach the stadium from Umngeni and Walter Gilbert roads,” Metrorail acting business development manager Danny Hattingh said in Durban this week. Phase 1 Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

After game 4 guarantee, Arwind Santos confident San Miguel can finally pull ahead

first_imgSantos finished with 12 points, six rebounds and six assists as the Beermen shot 51 percent from the field after struggling to make shots in Game 3.Game 5 is on Friday night.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MANILA, Philippines—On Sunday, Arwind Santos as if guaranteed a San Miguel Beer win over Magnolia in Game 4 of the PBA Philippine Cup Finals.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew View comments LATEST STORIES The Beermen made their star forward look like a genius after steamrolling the Hotshots, 114-98, to tie their best-of-seven series Wednesday night.Following the victory, the ever-confident Santos was at it again.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“O di ba tabla na. Hindi naman kami nag-relax para hindi namin maitabla,” he told reporters after Game 4. “Talagang ginawa namin ang lahat, lalo na si June Mar (Fajardo).”READ: PBA Finals: Hot-shooting Beermen tie series, torch Hotshots in Game 4 Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:33Leo Austria, SMB wary of ‘more experienced’ Hotshots ahead of PBA Finals rematch02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss La Salle dethrones UP, returns to UAAP men’s football finalcenter_img MOST READ Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles (The series is now tied. We never relaxed for us not to even it up. We really did everything we could especially June Mar.)“Game 5? Hindi na natin pwede i-tie yan. Malamang may lalamang. Malamang kami na yun. Sana kami na,” Santos said. “Magpe-pray kami at magtitiwala kami sa bawat isa para makuha namin yun. Lahat kami nakikita ko sa dugout, gigil na gigil kami kasi gusto talaga namin makauna, hindi kami makauna. Sana itong Game 5.”(Obviously, one team is going to lead the series after Game 5 and most likely, it’s going to be us. I hope it’s us. We’ll pray for it and continue to believe in each other for us to win that game. Everyone in the dugout is determined to pull ahead in this series and hopefully we’ll be able to do it in Game 5.)READ: Hotshots hold off Beermen for 2-1 series leadJune Mar Fajardo led SMB with 31 points on 13-of-14 shooting from the field.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venuelast_img read more