Sportscover Sponsorship Fund

first_imgSportscover is currently accepting applications for its 2013 Sportscover Sponsorship Fund (SSF).$750 grants are available and will be handed out over two rounds, with the first round currently open until Monday, 15 July. The grant is available to all amateur sporting clubs, associations and affiliates. Applicants must be able to provide Sportscover with an interview as well as a photo of the grant being used.The second round will run from Thursday, 1 August until Tuesday, 15 October. A number of grants will be awarded throughout both rounds.To apply for the Sportscover Sponsorship Fund or to view more details, visit http://www.sportscover.com/ssf/. Related LinksSportscover Sponsorshiplast_img

10 months agoEmery hopes Arsenal defeat acts as wake-up call

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Emery hopes Arsenal defeat acts as wake-up callby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal boss Unai Emery hopes defeat to Southampton was a wake up call.The Saints ended Arsenal’s 22-match unbeaten run and won their first home league game since April thanks to Charlie Austin’s 85th-minute header with Hasenhuttl running on to the pitch to celebrate with his players on the final whistle.In a see-sawing encounter, the hosts took the lead after 20 minutes as Danny Ings muscled home a header from Matt Targett’s cross.Henrikh Mkhitaryan nodded in shortly after for Arsenal, following good work by Alex Iwobi and Nacho Monreal – but Ings struck again just before the break.Nathan Redmond’s floated cross was precise and Ings cushioned a looping effort into the far corner.Arsenal turned the screw in the second half and restored parity as Mkhitaryan’s shot deflected in off Jannik Vestergaard.The Gunners had their chances with Alex McCarthy impressing in the home goal, but Southampton were dangerous on the break and Shane Long had a goal rightly ruled offside before providing a teasing cross for Austin’s winner.Emery stated: “We could have lost at any time and it was today.”If we won’t win like today, we cannot be in the top four.”After 22 matches unbeaten we didn’t lose and we are only fifth position in the table and the reason is because other teams are very well.”Other teams usually they are winning but we need to do our way and continue to build. The objective is therefore top but we know it’s not easy because the other teams are at a high level.”We need to be very, very demanding.” last_img read more

Fire forcing evacuation of Keewaywin First Nation in northwestern Ontario

first_imgA raging forest fire in northwestern Ontario has prompted the full evacuation of the First Nation community of Keewaywin, authorities said on Thursday.More than 200 residents considered vulnerable had already been flown this week to Sioux Lookout, Ont., as the fire moved closer, while roughly 200 more were being sent to another city Thursday. Joe Meekis, a former long-time chief of Keewaywin — which has about 450 residents — called the situation scary.“The community is threatened,” Meekis said in an interview from Sioux Lookout. “Everybody has to get out.”Known as Red Lake Fire Number 23, the blaze which is now about 546 square kilometres began as a small fire a week ago about 40 kilometres from the community. Earlier this week, the winds picked up and it “grew really fast,” Meekis said.Smoke began drifting into the community, prompting residents to close windows and doors, and shut down air conditioners.Ultimately, the chief declared an emergency and the initial transfer of babies, pregnant women, and children under five and their families began. On Tuesday and Wednesday, a total of 227 people were flown about 330 kilometres south to Sioux Lookout, which has declared its own state of emergency aimed at defraying the cost of helping the arrivals.Volunteers in the town were helping provide access to snacks, supplies and information, as well as responding to requests from the evacuees, a spokesman said.“All evacuees are being housed at a local hotel, and a local restaurant is providing all of the meals,” said Brian MacKinnon, the town’s manager of corporate services. “(However), Sioux Lookout is presently at capacity with respect to the number of evacuees we can host.”As a result, the more than 200 remaining evacuees were being flown to Timmins, Ont., on Thursday, leaving just a skeleton crew in the community for security purposes, Meekis said.“They’re moving people today, as we speak,” Meekis said.By noon Thursday, the fire was 10 kilometres southwest of the Keewaywin boundary, which is 12 kilometres from the town itself, according to the provincial Ministry of Natural Resources.Jonathan Scott, an information officer with Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services, said an incident management team was on site looking for “aerial ignition opportunities” in which fires are deliberately set to take the blaze to natural barriers and slow its spread. Crews and equipment were also in the area.Despite some isolated heavy rains Wednesday night, the fire hazard in the region ranged from low to extreme. Speaking from Dryden, Ont., Scott said 12 new smaller fires were confirmed on Wednesday near Red Lake, Fort Frances, Dryden and Sioux Lookout.In all, more than two dozen fires are burning in northwestern Ontario, 12 out of control.Large numbers of huge forest fires are not unusual in the region. There have been 183 to date this season, well below the 500 of last year and about half the 10-year average of 366, Scott said. Still, the fires pose a logistical challenge.“Ontario is so stretched with their resources,” Meekis said. “There’s fires all over the place. So we have to sort of fight for the resources.”Keewaywin’s last full evacuation occurred in 2011. While the community was spared, damage to the surrounding area was significant.Colin Perkel, The Canadian Presslast_img read more

US trade gap rises to 566 billion highest since 2008

first_imgWASHINGTON – The U.S. trade deficit rose in January to the highest level since October 2008, defying President Donald Trump’s efforts to bring more balance to America’s trade with the rest of the world.The Commerce Department said Wednesday that the trade deficit rose to $56.6 billion in January, up 5 per cent from $53.9 billion in December and the highest since October 2008’s $60.2 billion trade gap. The trade deficit — the gap between what America sells and what it buys abroad — has risen for five straight months.Trump rattled financial markets last week by promising to slap big tariffs on imported steel and aluminum. He blames persistent deficits on abusive practices by U.S. trading partners and on bad trade deals that put American companies at a disadvantage or encourage them to move factories overseas.Exports fell 1.3 per cent to $200.9 billion in January, and imports were flat at $257.5 billion.The United States ran a $76.5 billion deficit in the trade of goods, which was partially offset by a $19.9 billion surplus in services such as education and banking.The $36 billion January deficit with China was the highest since September 2015. The trade gap with Mexico narrowed to $4.1 billion from $5.4 billion in December.Trump upset America’s allies last week by vowing to slap tariffs of 25 per cent on imported steel and 10 per cent on aluminum. Europe has threatened to retaliate with sanctions on U.S. exports of blue jeans, bourbon and Harley-Davidson motorcycles, raising the risk of a potentially destructive trade war.“He is not afraid of getting into a trade war although that is not what we want,” Treasury Steven Mnuchin said in an interview Wednesday on the Fox Business Network. “We are just looking for fair and reciprocal trade.”Trump is also demanding a rewrite of the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement with Mexico and Canada in an attempt to reduce the U.S. trade deficit with Mexico and to shift more auto production north of the border.The president views trade deficits as a sign of economic weakness and as the result of unfair practices by America’s trading partners. Most economists say they are caused by bigger economic forces, mainly the fact that the United States consistently spends more than it produces.The trade gap has continued to rise since Trump entered the White House partly because the U.S. economy is strong and American consumers have an appetite for imported products and the confidence to buy them.____Martin Crutsinger contributed to this story.____Follow Paul Wiseman on Twitter at https://twitter.com/PaulWisemanAPlast_img read more

IFAD president commends synergy between authorities and populations in socioeconomic projects

first_imgMarrakech – President of the International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD/based in Rome) Kanayo Nwanze, commended the development dynamism going on in rural areas in Morocco and the synergy of efforts between local authorities and recipient populations of socio-economic projects.The IFAD president told MAP after visiting some of the IFAD-funded projects he is satisfied with the results of these projects and with their impact on the target populations’ living conditions.The Fund, which started cooperating with Morocco in 1980, has financed 13 projects in addition to 5 ongoing ones. Results achieved so far are leading the Fund to intensify its cooperation with Morocco and start new projects, together with other fund-donors, he said.“I have met rural women and they confirmed the improvement of their living conditions thanks to the socio-economic projects”, he said noting that the construction of a kindergarten or a drinking water supply facility alleviates the burden on women and enables them to have income-generating activities.Cooperation between the IFAD and Morocco is based on financial assistance in the form of grants or easy loans for farming and rural development projects.last_img read more

Gomes doesnt want to leave Barcelona

first_imgAndre Gomes was struggling at Barcelona after moving there from Valencia but he has finally found his old form during the last couple of weeks – and he insisted that he doesn’t want to leave the club at all.Manchester United have been said to be interested in the midfielder but the player himself denied that he wants to leave Catalonia and he claimed that he is just happy to be finally meeting the expectations.The Portugal international spoke about his future as he said, according to Goal:“Right now I do not think about that.”“I am enjoying myself and living the dream that all children want to live.”Fati and Suarez shine against Valencia at Camp Nou Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 15, 2019 With a mesmerizing first half from Ansu Fati and a brace from Luis Suarez in the second half, Barcelona demolished Valencia at Camp Nou.Valencia…“The first six months were pretty good but then things changed.”“Maybe it’s not the correct word but it turned into a bit of a hell because I started to feel more pressure. With pressure, I feel fine, but with pressure on myself, I don’t. The feeling that I have during games is bad.”“There is only one Busquets.”“I work as hard as I can so that the manager knows he can count on me.”last_img read more

BT presenter cancels show after contestant collapse

first_imgBT Sports presenter Mark Pougatch announced the cancellation of the results of Friday night’s sports score after Glenn Hoddle collapsed.The former England footballer was one of the contestants but suffered a shock heart attack which led to him being rushed to the hospital.“Unfortunately, we’re not going to be able to bring you a programme this afternoon,” Pougatch said, according to the Daily Mail.“Earlier today, I’m sad to say, Glenn Hoddle was taken ill. He’s gone to hospital where he’s receiving the best possible care and attention. It goes without saying all of our thoughts, and I know all the best wishes of football fans around the world, are with Glenn and his family.”Jadon Sancho, Borussia DortmundCrouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.Before suffering the heart attack, one of the other contestants, Steve Sidwell posted a video of the match on Instagram on which he can be heard saying: “Look at this fella [Hoddle] here. You never lose it. You never lose it, Glenn.”Former Tottenham shot-stopper Ray Clemence urged Hoddle to ‘stay strong’ and Chris Waddle, another of Hoddle’s former teammate with England, said: “Get well soon, Glenn. Our thoughts are with you.”Former Chelsea striker Chris Sutton also wrote on Twitter: “Thoughts and prayers for Glenn Hoddle and his family after he was taken ill today.”last_img read more

Xavi tells Joshua Kimmich You would be perfect for Barca

first_imgBarcelona legend Xavi Hernandez revealed his admiration for the “versatile” Bayern Munich star Joshua Kimmich, who he believes could even eclipse him as a playerThe Germany international first rose to prominence under Pep Guardiola at Bayern in the 2015/16 season before the Catalan coach left for Manchester City.While his normal position is at right-back, Kimmich’s versatility has won him many admirers with the 23-year-old being deployed in a central midfield role at Bayern this season.Due to this, Xavi is convinced Kimmich would be a great coup for Barcelona.“I spoke to Pep Guardiola, my ex-coach from Barcelona, about him,” Xavi told Bild at Bayern’s training camp in Doha, Qatar, alongside Kimmich.“Pep said: ‘I have a player in the team who can play in every position!’“I asked, ‘Who is the boy?’ He told me something about a man named ‘Kimmitsch’, whom I honestly had never heard of before.“Since that day, when I talked to Pep, I have followed your career. After all, Pep says that for a reason.“I knew right away, when I saw you playing, that you could become a great player. And that’s you today!“Joshua is the present and future of FC Bayern and the German national team. And you really can play in any position.”He added: “You would be the perfect player for FC Barcelona!FC Barcelona, Valencia CFMatch Preview: Barcelona vs Valencia Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Is derby time in La Liga, as Barcelona welcomes Valencia to the Camp Nou Stadium tonight at 21:00 (CET).“In my career, I have always kept my eyes open to find players who would suit Barca well.“As previously with Philipp Lahm, Joshua Kimmich could without any problems play at Barcelona. That would fit well.“But Bayern Munich play on the same level as Barca, and you can achieve a lot there.”Before joining Doha-based club Al Sadd in 2015, Xavi was regarded as one of the planet’s greatest playmakers after managing 85 goals and 181 assists in a staggering 769 games for Barcelona.The former Spain international has won many honours throughout his career, which includes a World Cup, two European titles, four Champions Leagues and eight La Liga crowns.But the 38-year-old, who could retire from playing football this year, reckons Kimmich’s versatility could make him an even greater asset for Barcelona than what he used to be.“I thought before I met Joshua that he wanted to be a defender,” said Xavi.“But he already told me that he has another big wish. Joshua can play perfectly in midfield as a number six.“Definitely [he can be the next Xavi]. He can make the difference.“He can be one of the best players in world football in several positions, maybe he already is.“That distinguishes him from me: I could play in one position, he is versatile.”last_img read more

Politano talks ahead of Sassuolo game

first_imgOn Saturday, Inter Milan will host U.S. Sassuolo Calcio as the Italian Lega Serie A 2018-2019 season restarts action.The Italian Lega Serie as is back into action.After a small winter break, the Italian competition will restart this weekend, and Internazionale Milan will host U.S. Sassuolo Calcio.Matteo Politano was quoted by the Inter official website about what this means for his team.Romelu Lukaku, Inter MilanLukaku backed to beat Ronaldo in Serie A scoring charts Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Former Inter Milan star Andy van der Meyde is confident Romelu Lukaku will outscore Cristiano Ronaldo in this season’s Serie A.“We’ve seen that they’ve put everyone in difficulty so far, ourselves included. It will be a difficult game, especially because we don’t have the help of our fans. It will be a very complicated game,” he explained.“I’ve played in a lot of games and I wouldn’t have expected such a start. I’m very happy, but I still have a lot to improve on.”“For me, there’s the extra motivation of looking to always do well in order to convince the coach and club to continue on this journey together,” he added.“My aim is to give my best in the week in order to earn a place in the team with this prestigious shirt, to keep playing and perhaps to score a few more goals.”last_img read more