Outside Boston, 10 people—some strangers, some not—struggle with the circumstances that have brought them to the Wayside Motor Inn. With old grudges and new feuds threatening the travelers’ peace, the play examines the tenuous space between loneliness and connection, and the fragile framework of the American Dream. Show Closed This production ended its run on Oct. 5, 2014 The Wayside Motor Inn In addition to Kudisch, the cast features Kelly AuCoin, Jon DeVries, Quincy Dunn-Baker, Rebecca Henderson, Jenn Lyon, Lizbeth Mackay, David McElwee, Ismenia Mendes and Will Pullen. View Comments Related Shows A.R. Gurney’s The Wayside Motor Inn will extend off-Broadway through October 5. The production had previously been set to complete its limited engagement on September 21 after officially opening on September 4. Directed by Lila Neugbauer with a cast that includes Tony nominee Marc Kudisch, the show is playing at The Alice Griffin Jewel Box Theatre at The Pershing Square Signature Center.
By Dialogo September 30, 2011 Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos ordered a brigade of Marines to the restive southwestern Pacific coast to help crack down on rampant crime. Santos said the 2,500 fresh troops will be based in the port of Tumaco, 745 miles southwest of Bogota, and will strengthen forces already in the region. Some 380 extra police officers have also been deployed to the area. The southwestern Nariño region, on the border with Ecuador, is one of the most violent areas in Colombia. Leftist guerrillas, criminal gangs and former right-wing paramilitaries are all active in the region and engaged in an ongoing battle over control of the lucrative coastal Pacific drug trafficking routes. The goal of the Marines will be to “close the corridors of mobility and logistical support for drug traffickers” from the nearby Cauca department to the border with Ecuador, Santos said. Santos, a former defense minister, said that over the next months the number of troops in the region will increase from 2,800 to 3,350. Last weekend seven people were murdered in Tumaco, Colombia’s southernmost port on the Pacific. Rebels with Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) have launched 10 attacks in the Tumaco area this year, killing 14 police officers, according to city officials. In mid-September at least four guerrillas were killed when Colombian Air Force planes bombed a FARC camp in the region located mere kilometer (0.6 miles) from the border with Ecuador. The Colombian government has been battling the FARC – Latin America’s oldest rebel movement, estimated to have some 8,000 fighters – since 1964. In March 2008, Colombian military forces raided a rebel camp just across the border inside Ecuador, killing Raul Reyes, the FARC’s number two commander.
10SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr A study from the United Kingdom-based Juniper Research found fraudulent online transactions will reach $25.6 billion by 2020, up from $10.7 billion last year. That means for every $1,000 spent, $4 will be fraudulent.The study, “Online Payment Fraud: Key Vertical Strategies & Management 2016-2020,” identified three hot areas for online fraud: eRetail (65% of fraudulent transactions, or $16.6 billion), banking (27%, $6.9 billion) and airline ticketing (6%, $1.5 billion). continue reading »
ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr A critical element of influence is the emotional environment you create around yourself, Darrell Hammond tells a preconference workshop at the CUNA Finance Council Conference in New York City.Optimism is a quality that virtually all successful influencers possess.Optimists:Are paid more.Are healthier.Are more elections.Are longer.Are better at dealing with uncertainty and change.“The mind is your main production tool,” Hammond says. “We have to figure out what we do day by day that contributes to our culture. What are you doing, what is your language like, what are your relationships like that define your environment at work?” continue reading »
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Calling it “the biggest ripoff” in Suffolk County history, a pair of veteran Long Island attorneys claim that the Southwest Sewer District has illegally overcharged local taxpayers by more than a quarter of a billion dollars since 2009.If their recently amended lawsuit is successful, then some 340,000 residents in Babylon, Islip and part of Huntington stand to get refunds of $3,361.10 each.The original lawsuit, filed in February in State Supreme Court in Riverhead by the law firms of Paul Sabatino II, a former Suffolk chief deputy county executive, and Reilly, Like, and Tenety asserted that the 57-square-mile sewer district had accumulated an illegal balance of $116.9 million. But the lawyers say they subsequently discovered that the county had added another $138 million to the cumulative surplus. So, they returned to court in October to amend their class action lawsuit to recover $254.9 million in over-taxation.“The magnitude of Suffolk County’s deception in trying to hide these huge surpluses from its own citizens is shocking and the contempt that it shows by county officials for the will of the people is reprehensible,” said Sabatino, who was County Executive Steve Levy’s chief deputy from 2004 to 2007 and former counsel to the Suffolk County Legislature for almost 20 years before that. “This deception has evolved into the biggest rip-off of taxpayers in the history of Suffolk County.”The lawsuit specifically cites four public referenda approved by Suffolk County voters in 1983, 1989, 1995 and 2006, which directed county officials “to return the surpluses, known as Fund Balances, to the taxpayers.” Instead, the attorneys claim, the county violated section 4-10 (F) of the Suffolk County Charter by placing the surplus in Fund 405, which they say “is an illegal fund used by the County as a subterfuge…” Irving Like, founding partner of his firm, was a member of the Suffolk County Charter Review Commission. Sabatino, as legislative counsel, helped draft the charter.As Suffolk County Comptroller, John M. Kennedy Jr. called the lawsuit “troubling” but he declined to discuss its merits, which he might have done had he still been in the legislature, where the Republican represented the 12th District for a decade until being elected to his current office in 2014 as the county’s chief fiscal officer and auditing authority.“There’s two parts here: there’s the calculus as to whether in fact an improper collection occurred and then there’s the remedy,” Kennedy told the Press. “Were we compelled to have to pay back the full amount being sought in one fell swoop, would that have dire consequences for the county? Yes, it would, in my opinion.”The court is not expected to hold hearings on the lawsuit until next year.In early October, James O’Connor, the Republican then running for Suffolk County executive, tried to make the Southwest Sewer District surplus a campaign issue. O’Connor held a press conference at the Bergen Point Sewage Treatment Plant in West Babylon and reportedly accused the Bellone administration of keeping the sewer taxes high to pay down the costs of capital construction projects.In response, Suffolk Deputy County Executive Jon Schneider told Newsday that replacing the outflow pipe from Bergen Point might cost $207 million, and the county secured about $40 million in low or no-interest loans from the state. Bellone’s deputy added that O’Connor’s accusation was the action of a “desperate politician.”A month later Bellone easily won re-election with 57 percent of the vote, while O’Connor polled 43 percent. The incumbent also substantially outraised the challenger; Bellone had $1.8 million in his campaign war chest, while O’Connor had raised about $172,000.In the meantime, Sabatino and Like redid their math and raised the amount of the surplus they were targeting for refunds.Asked to comment about the now $254.9 million lawsuit, a spokesperson for Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone summarily dismissed it.“The County has about $70-plus million in ‘pay go’ projects for [the] Southwest Sewer District and has a potential draw-down for the outfall pipe of about $200 million, so budgeting has been reasonable,” said Vanessa B. Streeter, Bellone’s communications director, in an emailed statement to the Press. “The later proposed amendments to the complaint have no merit.”In the amended lawsuit the attorneys allege that the 2016 county budget “added $33.295 million to the illegal surplus in defiance of the [February] lawsuit seeking the return of illegal fund balances.” They also claim that the sewer district’s taxpayers were “illegally charged” to repay a pure subsidy from the ¼ percent sales tax that supports the drinking water protection program through the Environmental Trust Fund (known as Fund 404), “even though the public voted via public referenda…to give those sales tax proceeds to county sewer districts for the purpose of preventing double digit and triple digit sewer tax hikes.”According to the attorneys’ recalculation, the average taxpayer in the sewer district is entitled to a refund of $3,361.10—originally it called for $1,542. The attorneys say the over-taxation stems from the repeated failure of county officials to pass on “the substantial savings” that arose from the amortization of Southwest Sewer District’s debt that had been issued in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. As the debt was paid off “in increasingly large amounts,” the lawsuit says, the county held on to the savings instead of returning it to the taxpayers as the county statute and state law required.“As I warned at the beginning of this lawsuit, failure to stop this violation of the constitutional rights of the taxpayers would only encourage the county to continue its unlawful behavior in the future,” said Like in a statement. “Unfortunately, the responsible county officials have not heeded this warning. We are filing this Amended Lawsuit to protect the public interest against the county’s disregard of the laws its own voters have adopted. The strong policy of the law requires a full accounting of all public funds to prevent local governments from acquiring tax proceeds faster than they are needed and for costs and expenses not incurred.”The lawsuit’s attorneys retained former Suffolk County Budget Director, Robert Bortzfield, CPA, a career civil servant who worked in county government from 1972 to 2007, to verify the validity of the claims being made in this lawsuit.“A careful review of the finances and budgets of the SWSD confirms that the taxpayers and ratepayers in the SWSD have been overtaxed by at least $ 254.9 million,” Bortzfield said in a statement, “and the amount will continue to grow if this lawsuit is not successful.”“This is going to drag on,” Sabatino tells the Press. “The county basically stonewalled for 10 months. We tried to work with them. They’re not acting in good faith. When they came out with a new budget [for 2016] that made things worse, not better, we knew that they weren’t for real.”
Separately, LGPS Central has also confirmed that as of 1 May 2020 it is now running a discretionary £211m UK Gilts mandate in-house on behalf of Nottinghamshire Pension Fund, it said.This is in addition to a global investment grade corporate bond fund that the pool launched last month, bringing together £1.2bn of partner fund assets under management, with the initial investors being Derbyshire Pension Fund, Nottinghamshire Pension Fund, Staffordshire Pension Fund and Worcestershire Pension Fund.Swiss pension fund tenders CHF900m bonds mandateA Swiss public sector pension fund has issued two tenders worth CHF450m (€420m) each via IPE Quest.According to the QN-2610 search, the mandates could invest in global, domestic and foreign bonds, following the Swiss Bond Index (SBI) AAA-BBB Total Return benchmark.Managers should have at least CHF10bn in assets under management as a firm, and at least CHF5bn in credit. Their track record should be at least five years, but a minimum of 10 years is preferred.The deadline for applications is 22 May at 5pm UK time. Applicants should state performance data to 31 March 2020, gross of fees.The IPE news team is unable to answer any further questions about IPE Quest, Discovery, or Innovation tender notices to protect the interests of clients conducting the search. To obtain information directly from IPE Quest, please contact Jayna Vishram on +44 (0) 20 3465 9330 or email [email protected] read the digital edition of IPE’s latest magazine click here. LGPS Central has selected two external managers for its £900m (€1bn) Global Active Emerging Market Bond Fund. The two managers selected are M&G Investments and Amundi, with each fund manager receiving half of the total mandate, the investment pool announced.It said that more than 70 fund managers from across the globe expressed an initial interest in tendering for the mandate.Gordon Ross, interim chief investment officer and investment director for fixed income at LGPS Central, said: “When we began the manager search for our Emerging Market Bond Fund, we were looking for candidates which displayed a robust and disciplined investment process, full transparency, value for money and commitment to responsible investment.”He said that both selected managers “showed evidence of all these attributes in managing EMD products and we are very much looking forward to working with them as we deliver the returns our partner funds need for the long-term.”
THE Sonic Hunters Motorcycle club yesterday did their part in road safety by repainting and brightening several road markings in the Kitty area.The club took the time out yesterday to paint the pedestrian crossing at Queen Street, Wortmanville, between Durban and Norton Street.According to the club, they felt the need to brighten up a few of the signs around the area in an attempt to ensure that there are no incidents due to driver-negligence.A statement also read “We felt (that) it is our social responsibility to ensure that we participate in community and group building events for our members and the community at large.”“We plan to undertake more projects like this in the near future based on the response we got today,” the statement continued.“We are hopeful that more entities can replicate our activities and not wait on the authorities to do everything. Sometimes a little bit can go a long way.”
With the draw being the second stalemate in succession after holding Everton at Goodison Park, Arsenal head into the weekend sitting in 11th position in the table after recording just five wins from 19 matches.There remains just an eight-point gap between themselves and today’s opponents, however, and Arteta will regard the upcoming contest as a window of opportunity.The former Manchester City assistant will also have been delighted to see Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang get on the scoresheet against Bournemouth at a time when the club captain’s future remains up in the air.With just 18 months left on his contract, there is the suggestion that showdown talks will soon be held between the pair, but his goal on the South coast reiterated that he remains an important part of this squad until the end of the season.Arsenal have been at their weakest at the other end of the pitch, although conceding just twice in their last three away games will only suggest to Arteta that this group of players are pulling in the right direction.Despite the contrasting positions of the two clubs, Lampard will be feeling frustrated with his squad’s inability to build on what the Englishman considered to be their best performance of the season against Tottenham Hotspur.Having successfully switched to a 3-4-3 formation against another of their London rivals, Lampard kept the same shape for the meeting with Southampton, only to witness his side put in another below-par outing at Stamford Bridge.Finding a solution to their issues at their West London home will wait for another day, with Lampard needing to ensure that his players are in the correct frame of mind before heading into a second derby showdown in quick succession.While Lampard may opt to revert to the same team which began at Spurs, the surprise element of using Mason Mount and Willian has gone, likely making it easier for Arsenal to construct a game plan.The form of Callum Hudson-Odoi has become a talking point with the academy graduate having struggled since the start of November, but the 19-year-old does not necessarily deserve to be singled out at this time with no-one in a Chelsea shirt showing the level of performance required on a regular basis.While Lampard is unlikely to cause many surprises with the personnel, this is one of the final chances for his current crop to show what they can do before their manager enters the transfer market for fresh faces.Having missed out at the weekend, Nicolas Pepe could be handed a starting role by Arteta as he looks to freshen up his starting lineup.Chelsea midfielder Mateo Kovacic has also completed his one-match suspension, with the Croatian potentially being preferred to Jorginho.Mount may come into the team in place of Hudson-Odoi, while Reece James is an option on the right side of defence if he is able to shake off an ankle problem.Today’s encounter represents the 199th competitive meeting between the two clubs, with Arsenal registering 77 wins in comparison to 67 victories for Chelsea.Neither side have been able to put together successive triumphs in this fixture over normal time since Chelsea recorded 6-0 and 2-0 successes in 2014.This will be the first contest between the teams since Chelsea recorded a 4-1 win in the Europa League final in May.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Arsenal host Chelsea in the Premier League this afternoon as Mikel Arteta takes charge of his first game at the Emirates Stadium. The Blues make the short trip across London holding a three-point advantage over the chasing pack in the race for fourth position.After picking up a point from his first fixture in charge at Bournemouth, Arteta suggested that his new side had exceeded his expectations given their previous indifferent performances.However, while earning a share of the spoils at the Vitality Stadium was a respectable result, the Spaniard will know that the result needs to be the start of a positive turnaround at the club.
Follow us on Twitter @DailyTrojan ESPN College GameDay took over USC early Saturday morning, hosting their show live for the first time from McCarthy Quad. Students arrived ready with their signs an hour early, despite the 6 AM broadcast time.Photos by Ralf Cheung
Ghana midfielder, Enoch Adu Kofi scored his debut goal for AIK in their 1-3 defeat at Mjaellby in the Swedis league on Sunday.Adu Kofi netted the equalizer from the penalty spot on the 40th minute after Mjaellby had led through Nigerian, Moses Ogbu on the 10th minute.The 29-year-old was replaced by fellow Ghanaian, Ebenezer Ofori on the 62nd minute.With two minutes to end the first half, Moses Ogbu shot Mjaellby into a 2-1 lead from the penalty spot.Back from the break, Mjaellby Taylor Silverholt grabbed the winner on the 76th minute with an assist from Max Watson.Ghana striker, Mamudu Moro was in action for 72 minutes for Mjaellby.AIK’s defeat leaves them on 12th with 13 points with Mjaellby on 7th with 19 points after 14 matches. Source: Footy-Ghana.com Tags: AIK Stockholmenoch adu kofi